cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup errors on a CIFS share

rdeshields
Level 4

Good day,

We set up a CIFS share that we are attempting to backup to tape. The backup job seems run normally and backups up the data without any issues however when the job finishes the job log indicates that the media server was unable to connect to the remote agent. The CIFS shares are hosted from a NAS device which does not have any Backup Exec remote agents. The exact error is:

Backup- <NAS>
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine <NAS>.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
V-79-57344-65277 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\<NAS>\<CIFS SHARE>". Advanced Open File Optio...
Remote Agent not detected on <NAS>.

How can I make this error message go away?

Thanks,

Rick

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You cannot

If the media server does not see a RAWS or RALUS agent, it will display this warning

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For the second AOFO errror message, you should turn off AOFO.

Also, you need a RAWS licence to backup your NAS device although you cannot intall RAWS on it.  This is to comply with licencing terms.

rdeshields
Level 4

We dont have an remote agent installed on our SAN and we are backing up CIFS shares on the SAN without any errors. I double checked the jobs for the CIFS shaes on the NAS device and they are set up the same way as the jobs for the SAN. Why would I get that error backing up the NAS but not the SAN?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically a SAN would not be CIFS shares it would be direct mounts into the Operating system concerned over iSCSI or Fiber Channel (storage protocols)  A NAS is accessed over network protocols and therefore has to be accessed over shares.

As such are you sure your SAN is using CIFS?

rdeshields
Level 4

Yes. Our SAN has CIFS shares configured which we are backing up from without any remote agent errors.