cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12.0 Restore missing some .PST files

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi ,

I have just encountered an issue where I have needed to restore some archived emails from a backup on one of out customers servers. On looking through the backups only some of the PSTs appear to be avilable. It would appear that the parent folder has been created on the backup but not the PSTs themselves.

I was just wondering if there are any know issues with regard to this? Is there a limit for the size of a single file that backup exec can back up?

I have ensured that the files have not been skipped due to being in use by checking the job logs and also double checked that the files in question are indeed selected in the job selection list.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry, but no...if AOFO isn't selected, any open files won't be backed up, and will potentially fail the backup (at a minimum cause it to complete with exceptions)...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV

Hi Leon,

I assume you're using AOFO in your backup job? This would take care of any open files, and essentially back them up.

Also, is your media server fully patched, and have these patches been push-installed to your remote servers?

Thanks!

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Apologies - can you please advise what AOFO is...

I will check that the media server is fully patched - there are no remote servers it just backs up locally.

Regards

Leon

CraigV

AOFO = Advanced Open File Option - it allows open files to be backed up with a lock on them.

JDR1990
Level 4

Many thanks I will look to establish whether this indeed is on and also am now installing service pack 5 on the media server.

Will contact you shortly.

Regards

Leon

CraigV

...just be aware that you will need to run a new backup in order to see if these files are now included.

Also open up the selection list and make sure that the *.psts are not excluded in that particular folder. If they are, remove the exclusions...

JDR1990
Level 4

I cannot download that service pack for some reason - is there any way to download it manually?

Also I have noticed that for the backups AOFO is not selected. Does this mean that if there are any files open that are on the selection list and are not backed up that it will be detailed in the job log (it usually states something like the file is in use and is skipped). The reason i ask this is that im pretty certain one of the users in question never shuts down his windows XP PC and maybe he has been leaving his Microsoft outlook open. I cannot see anything in the job logs relating to the files in question.

CraigV

...check the link below and filter for BE 12.0...you will find the SP you're looking for there. Just browse through until you get it:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&bas...

JDR1990
Level 4

Many thanks i have now installed that update manually and will check for further updates.

I have ensured that the directories have not been excluded...

Are you able to advise further on my previous request about AOFO?

CraigV

Sorry, but no...if AOFO isn't selected, any open files won't be backed up, and will potentially fail the backup (at a minimum cause it to complete with exceptions)...

JDR1990
Level 4

Ok so are the files that are left open and not backed up always be specified in the job log or not?

CraigV

Hi,

Yes...with the most basic of log settings you'd see which files weren't included.

JDR1990
Level 4

Ok thank you. I will run a test backup once I get the media device online as I am having some issues. 

Maybe the installing all of the updates has resolved the issue?..

CraigV

...updates can fix things in most cases.

JDR1990
Level 4

Ok thanks. I had issues with carrying out the final 3 updates i had to keep checking through symantec live update then it would fail part of the way through the download. It would slowly get further through the download each time until it eventually completed

There was no actual problem with the install itself.