cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12 wont backup on new quantum lto3 internal drive

Tamelon
Level 2

Hi there,

because of capacity issues we replaced out quantum lto2 drive with a quantum lto3 drive. SCSI interface, same controller. everything stayed the same.

Hardware/Software: Server with Adaptec RAID5 and windows server 2003, software backup exec 12 with all updates. lto drive has its own controller, LSI based.

what did i do:

power down, replaced the drive, old and new were SCSI drives, power up, updated the device driver with tapeinst.exe, restartet. deleted old backup job, deleted old device. created new backup job (has only to backup 1 directory with no open files).

what happens:

backup job starts as instructed (does the same when i start manually), backup begins but after writing about 100-400 MB of data (30 seconds) no more data is written to the drive. after about 5 minutes the backup jobs fails with error: 0xe00084ee (unknown command sended to device) see also V-79-57344-34030.

according to the docs quantum lto3 should work with backup exec 12.

i testet controller and drive in another machine, works perfectly with windows backup. xtalk reports no errors with every test available.

whats wrong with the dam thing?

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there any Event ID 7, 9,11 or 15 Event Log errors. If there are then refer http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154690

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is BE 12 updated with all available updates? Also, have you checked to see if any AV is maybe causing issues with your backup job itself?

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

re: backup jobs fails with error: 0xe00084ee (unknown command sended to device)

I would suggest using the SCSI tracer to see what commands are causing the problem

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49432

lmosla
Level 6

Does the lto3 drive work with a windows backup on the Media server?