cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 15 stuck on Discovering resources

BurkaBurka
Level 3

Hello,

I have a problem that 2 servers can't backup, Status "discovering resources" and the job does not do anything. I can't cancel it or hold it, looks like backup exec is stuck. I can't stop or restart services.When I stop "Job engine" process, service also stops and then I can restart all services, jobs restarts and same issue persists.

I tried repair installation from program and features, repair database with BEUtility, restart whole server nothing helped.

Day before everything was fine and day after it got stuck. Very strange.

Backup exec is installed on VMWare Vsphere virtual machine, Windows Server 2008 R2

Backing up Windows Server 2008 R2

Any suggestions?

29 REPLIES 29

viktu
Level 1
Partner

I am on the same boat, issues started after upgrading. First of all it would hangs backing up VMWare machines, now every backup I try to start hang "detecting resources", now I have an unusable backup solution.

I am planning to reinstall the server again, I am unable to find a solution for this, and I cannot backup anything.

Looks like symantec did it again, like on the old days of 2012 :(

BurkaBurka
Level 3

I opened case in symantec support. They there connected to my computer remotely took debugging logs and promissed to call me on monday but nobody called me for whole week. I hope they will contact me this week. I think they missed a big bug in an upgrade version.

BurkaBurka
Level 3

Another strange thing is that my "logon accounts" list is empty but if I try to add one that was configured before it says that this account allready exists. It looks like accounts are hidden.

ScubaLeb
Not applicable

I am facing the same problem since i migrated from 2012 to 2014 discovering resources .

i have logged a case with symantec it is been a week working on this case without any luck .

any suggestion from you guys ? anybody was able to solve this issue or i should go back to 2012 version ?

BurkaBurka
Level 3

To wich version you upgraded 14.0 or 14.2 ? Because with 14.0 i had no problems but after upgrade to 14.2 problems appeared. It's going 3rd week then symantec support tries to fix it but with no luck.

BurkaBurka
Level 3

Symantec support is awfull. 2 months passed and everything I got was promisses that everything will be ok. Yea right.I downgraded back to Backup Exec 2014 and now it's running fine again, ofcourse I had to configure all backups again and it took me 1 day but not 2 months. I'm sure we won't pay anymore for support like that and I hope we will change the product to something else but not symantec. I also posted a bug about DLO 1 year ago and as I know it's still there not fixed. They also said it will be fixed soon...yea right.

feraguilar
Not applicable

I just wanted to say that this happened to me last night as well.  I've got an autoloader attached to my Backup Exec server and as of right now it's my Incremental that's stalling with the "discovering resources" message.  I'm running Backup Exec 2014 SP2.  

I'll try some of the troubleshooting steps above but no updates have been recently done so not sure why this just started happening out of the blue.

NetworkAdm
Level 3

I have the same problem

After successfull backup yesterday it is stick on Discovering resources today.

I can reboot server, one backup will be ok and next will stick again...

I can't reboot server every evening.

Case at Symantec already opened but no luck.....

and yes, i have incremental backup during week and full at saturday.

I don't wan't rollback to 2014 ver. it is also bad with LTO6

Miguel_Angel-Lo
Level 3

I have had this problem with Backup Exec 14, I upgraded to 15 and I still get this error once in a while. I have researched this topic for months and I think I have found what is causing the issue for me. I tried restarting the services, rebuilding the database, restoring database, etc. with no luck. 

In my case, I discovered that when a job hangs on Discovering Resources it is due to the servers (Windows 7 machines) I am trying to backup. When I open the Backup Definitions Properties window, Backup Exec tries to connect to all the servers but it is not successful. 

120px_Capture.JPG 

as you can see on the snapshoot above, Backup Exec cannot connect to 5 of the mahinces which is causing my jobs to hang. I tired removing the machine from the job and adding them again but that did not work. Restarting the target machines sometimes will resolve the problem but in some cases I had to remove the agent and install it again to get them to connect. 

I hope this helps...

From URL solution:https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Recovery-Community-Blog/Backup-Exec-Hangs-Discovering-Resources/ba...

first, I opened the Symantec Backup Exec Agent Utility and removed the entries under the publishing tab and all the entries under the security tab. then I closed the utility window and terminated the process. I also restarted the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows under services. 

after the Remote Agent had started, I went to the Backup Exec Server and right-clicked the target machine and selected Establish Trust. After the trust had been established, I restarted the job and it just completed successfully!!