cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec + NAS

StrucLLP
Level 3

Our current tape drive has died and our server is ancient so i need to upgrade.

I am looking at getting a HP StoreEver LTO−6 Ultrium 6250 Tape drive along with some sort of server which i plan to probably run backup exec small business (I think this is correct).

For our current setup we manually start a script to copy data from our ReadyNAS 516 to the server then schedule backup exec to copy this data on the tape drive.

What i would like to know is how i can make all of this automated and if possible just schedule a backup directly from the ReadyNAS 516 straight onto the Tape drive (cutting out me manually copying) .

I hope this all makes sense.

Please can somebody advise

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LegAEI
Level 5

Just because the article doesn't cover it, the operation you are talking about is called Backup to Disk, Duplicate to Tape.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can. You'll have to add the NAS as a file server and then you can backup the data from this NAS to the tape drive.

The KB is for BE 2012, however the same steps apply to BE 2014 as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189560

LegAEI
Level 5

Just because the article doesn't cover it, the operation you are talking about is called Backup to Disk, Duplicate to Tape.

StrucLLP
Level 3

Backup to Disk, Duplicate to Tape is effectively what we were doing but if we were to setup the NAS as a file server, could we not just backup straight from the NAS using it as a source and the tape as the destination? 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can. The KB which I posted will help you configuring backups from the NAS. Do note though, the data flow will still be from the NAS to the BE media server and then to the tape internally.