cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec service fails to start

luka_obersnu
Level 2
Hello,

I have just installed the latest version of Veritas Backup Exec to my Windows 2003 SBS server. After the installation and server reboot this service doesn’t won’t to start. I receive Backup Exec (Event ID 57802; The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536837662) occurred in object 11.) error in event log. None of the provided solutions on Veritas support web site for this error helps.

Thanks,
Luka Obersnu
6 REPLIES 6

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
Luka,

Are you in a stand alone configuration or in an SSO configuration?

luka_obersnu
Level 2
My configuration is a stand alone.

I'm useing external HP storageworks VS 80. The server is IBM Netfinity 5100 with Windows 2003 SBS and MsSql 2000.

l.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

This issue could occur if Backup Exec is installed on a case sensitive SQL instance. To avoid this problem , create SQL Server 2000 instance without
"case-sensitive" option.

It is usually recommended that backup exec be installed on the MSDE instance created by backup exec.please refer to the following Technote:

For optimal results, the Backup Exec Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine instance should not be installed into an existing SQL instance.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273485

Hope it helps!

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Cengiz_Bolgen
Not applicable
Hello Luca,

I have the same problem.Can you help me ? Did you find solution ?

Regards,
Cengiz

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:(65535)
Event ID:57802
Date:20/07/2005
Time:17:15:40
User:N/A
Computer:A281TR02
Description:
The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536837662) occurred in object 11.

luka_obersnu
Level 2
Hi,

I just did as Asma Tamboli said (thread above yours). I installed BackupExec on MSDE instance created with setup program.

I did so because I didn't want to invest too much time in to converting SQL database in to not case sensitive.

I'm not totally satisfied with this solution but it worked for me. If you by any chance know how to convert already created case sensitive database to non case sensitive I’ll be glad to hear it.

Luka

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
hi,

it is recommended that Backup Exec is installed on a seperate MSDE instance for the following reasons:

1. Database maintenance and shutdowns of the Backup Exec SQL database may inadvertently affect production databases.

2. Restores of the master database in a production SQL instance would be impossible with Backup Exec using that instance. The automated recovery method would not be able to put the instance into single-user mode. Switching to the manual method would also be hampered, as once the service was started in single-user mode, Backup Exec would be that single user using the Backup Exec database which would prevent a restore of the master database.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.