cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed, asking for 'Please Insert overwirtable media into the drive'

Smiley_Mak
Level 4
Hi everyone,

A few of my clients having problem with their backkup one way or another, they are all on backup exec 9.1 Ver 4691.

For this post, my client server is sbs 2003 SE
For the past days/weeks, the backup failed. To begin, I thought the backup failed due to exceed the capacity of the tape. Have deselected a lot of data not to be backup and backup still not done. The error messsage being 'Please insert overwirtable media into the drive'.

The drive clean every Friday. Run HP dianogic tests which were fine.

The backup did run successfully the night the server was restarted. Then it had not been run sucessfully at all or being run at all.

Anyone got any idea of what might have caused this ?
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Your client does know that when they change tapes they need to inventory the drive or slot, right?

After  inventory, does the tape info show in Blue (Overwritable) or Black (Protected)?

Smiley_Mak
Level 4
Hello Ken,

This is where the 'complication' come in as I have mixed result from different clients.

As far as I know you only need to inventry the tape when it is on its first use. After that there is no need to be done or that was my assumption. Since all my client's backup don't need to inventry the tape before the daily backup. Unless that was set automatically done. If that is the case, I am failed to find where this was set.

Anyway, I did tried to inventry the tape and quick erase, the job run for an hour but nothing happened. On the Job monitor, the job was running but there is no sign of it doing anything. Also my client at the other end confirmed that there wasn't any tape activity from the server. Normal if the tape drive was working, it does make some noices but it was so quiet.

Further, I did expected to see the tape in the device tab as well as in the media tab but I cannot see the tape from media tab or device tab. However, got another client have the same sympton (cannot see tape in device tab or media tab) but the backup completed without a glitch. Can you see my 'confusion' on what expect from the mixed results from at least two clients.

The backup were set to overwrite the media.

Another abnormality, last night I manually kick off the backup with the same job, the backup did run but failed due to other reason (it said due to some files/folders not existed, but didn't give what files/folders as they are in alien's code, with squares in places instead of alphabets. This is another mystery. I have seen this on other clients and it was something to do with symantec brightmail but when check backup selection, all the selections were there). All I did was select RUN NOW, instead of the schedule time. So there must be something on the auto start.

Anyone have such experience with backup exec ???? Would anyone help ?

MTIA

Alex_Luz
Level 3
I don't know. It's sound very strange.

I would try to install the Backup Exec again on the server...

You will not lose any data.

Alex.

Smiley_Mak
Level 4
Reinstall!!!

I don't think my client will be please to hear this option. Unless I would come up with a really good reason to convince my client.