cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failure error

Joey_DiJulio
Level 2
I (for the life of me) cannot seem to resolve the following error I am recieving in Veritas:

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Data\\\\\㯠ǜF\$6ʘ4ᓠ005 5:42:22 PM and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Data\\o Schultz Estimated.doc\\\\\\\\ and its subdirectories.

The directory they list in the error isn't even a valid directory. I mean, the "\\\\\\\\" what on earth is that? I did find two files that had "Schultz Estimated.doc" as their file name - but the backup continued to fail (with the same errors) even when I moved them out of the backup selection...

This has got to be one of the most unreadable errors I have *ever* seen... Can someone offer me some assistance...?

Here are some other errors that are also equally as ambiguous...

Job ended: Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 5:33:37 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fe09 - The directory is invalid.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup - C: SystemDirectory not found. Can not backup directory \Data\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Data\\o Schultz Estimated.doc\\\\\\\\ and its subdirectories.

Thanks,

Joey DiJulio
5 REPLIES 5

Mithril_Hall
Level 3
I don't know if this will help but it may.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266179.htm

Joey_DiJulio
Level 2
Thanks for the info...

And if it were just a matter of excluding one or more directories - I could have figured that one out on my own... It's just the fact that the directories the error says are causing the problem just plain don't exist... And, worse yet, they don't even make any sense...

If it were to say that it had a problem with "C:\Data\baddir\" that would make sense. I could go in and exclude "C:\Data\baddir\" from the backup. But, "\Data\\o Schultz Estimated.doc\\\\\\\\" is NOT a valid directory! I can't just put that in Windows Explorer and go to it. First off, there is no drive letter (and no, this is not a unix box), and then there are all these slashes (which, I assume mean subfolders) but there are no NAMES of these subfolders, so I have NOOOOO idea where on earth to look.

Furthermore, it adds a bunch of slashes AFTER what appears to be a file name. So, is that saying there there are directories it can't backup that are contained IN a file?

I mean, it just makes no sense!

If anyone else has any ideas I could still use some help!

Thanks Again,

Joey DIJulio

Peter_4
Level 2
Sounds like the selection lists for your job(s) in BE have become corrupt. Did you try to create a new selection list for this job ?

Peter

DoubleDose
Level 2
I agree, your selection list might be corrupt. Switch to the text mode and exclude anything that resembles those directory paths. For some reason the graphical interface will sometimes not show that a folder is selected or that BE is trying to backup a non-existent folder. Follow the link to that document and check out what Text Mode says. It will probably be different from what you see in the graphical section.

Zach

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
No response from customer