cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Tape and then Transfer Catalog to Disk (is this possible)???

Dennis_Forsman
Level 2
I have backed up some information to tape and then physically taken the tape to another location to perform a restore. The restore process is slow and I believe it is due to the fact that is it being performed from tape. I want to tranfer the catalog to disk and then perform the restore. Is that possible. Also, do catalogs from version 9.1 differ from version 10.0?

Thanks in advance..
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Restores always seem to run about a factor of 10 slower than backups ie about 10 times longer to restore than to backup.

In order to restore from the new location, you had to inventory and catalog first, right?

In that case the catalog is already on disk at the new location

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Restores are generally slower than backups. And before doing the restore you have to catalog the tapes once so that the catalog information on the tapes are written on to the catalog folder and only then data can be restored.

So there is no use in copying the catalog files that is present on the tape to the hard disk...as since you have written the data to the tape, data can be restored from that tape only...

There is no difference between Catalogs of Version 9.1 and 10.0. Catalogs can even be migrated from an existing version to a higher version during upgrades of the Backup Exec software.

Hope this helps...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to "answered
questions"pool.