cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disc restore issues

Gavin_Braithwai
Level 3
I have been backing up using BE to both a tape family and a partial backup-to-disc (on a NAS) with the idea that critical files can be pulled temporarily from the disc if a rebuild or full restore is required on the server.  The backups run happily on both media, but the problem is the restore.  Clearly if the server is down, I can't use BE as the restore, and any catalogues on the server are not available.  How am I supposed to restore from the backup-to-disc bkf files?  I have tried opening these with NTbackup and various utilities and none of them show any content.  I have tried in the past installing BE on a different machine, and restoring there, but that didn't work either.  Is there something I am missing here?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Install a vanilla OS on the media server with enough networking to access the NAS

Then define  a B2D device on the NAS\Share

Inventory the BKF files, then catalog them

You should now be able to do a DR restore of your media server

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Install a vanilla OS on the media server with enough networking to access the NAS

Then define  a B2D device on the NAS\Share

Inventory the BKF files, then catalog them

You should now be able to do a DR restore of your media server

Gavin_Braithwai
Level 3
Thanks, it was that double inventory-catalog that was throwing me off (and now I see it is actually described in the help, my bad).

Thanks again.