cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fact or Fiction: "Favorite Resources" a bad practice?

JRV
Level 4

BEWS 12.5 SP2, current hotfixes.

A Symantec support tech told me probably a year or two ago that specifying backup selections using "Favorite Resources" was not recommended. It was an offhand comment, he did not elaborate, and since it wasn't really germane to the support case, I didn't pursue it further.

I see a very few threads talking about performance issues using Favorite Resources, or machines disappearing from Favorite Resources. But I see no official documentation that this is a bad practice...and if it is a bad practice, one wonders why it's included in the product.

I know it's a bit fragile in that disabling (or misconfiguring) publishing in RAWS can make it disappear from the list. But that does not prevent existing backup selections from working as long as RAWS remains installed, so it's really cosmetic.

So, is there any truth to what the tech told me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would love to have the case number for that case to see what the tech documented that he told you or if you could remember the tech's name that would be great too.  If you have any of that information please private message it to me.

But to answer your question, there is no truth to that statement. Favorite resources were put in to the program to make it easier for you to find servers that had a remote agent installed on them. There have been no defects or patches related to using favorite resources or via Windows Domains or Active directory to access the servers in the selection list.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would love to have the case number for that case to see what the tech documented that he told you or if you could remember the tech's name that would be great too.  If you have any of that information please private message it to me.

But to answer your question, there is no truth to that statement. Favorite resources were put in to the program to make it easier for you to find servers that had a remote agent installed on them. There have been no defects or patches related to using favorite resources or via Windows Domains or Active directory to access the servers in the selection list.

JRV
Level 4
Thanks Ben, that's good news.

I only have 3 closed BEWS support cases in Symantec MySupport. I reviewed the case notes for all 3 but I couldn't tell you which one it was. The comment, which, as I say, was an "oh, by the way" not germane to the case, was not documented.