cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 remote agent talks to BackupExec 11d server?

brianjay
Level 3

I am currently running BackupExec 11d.

I have researched upgrading to BackupExec 2010 to allow Server 2008 remote agents. Unfortunately the server that is hosting the BackupExec 11d server is very particular and cannot have a .NET Framework higher than 2.0. Version 2010 installs .NET Framework 3.5.

So what I'd like to try is to put a BackupExec 2010 remote agent(which I do have license file for) onto my Server 2008 server. Will this talk to my 11d server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sorry, no

No media server will talk to uplevel agents

Media servers can talk to one level down agents, but only "for the purpose of rolling upgrades".   To be within the Symantec Licensing scheme, all your agents must be at the same version as your media server

Sounds like it may be time to purchase a small server box and create a dedicated media server (my choice in any case)  Doesn't have to be all that powerful a server as long as it has plenty of RAM.  And you don't need it to be 64-bit unless you are/will be  using DeDuplication 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sorry, no

No media server will talk to uplevel agents

Media servers can talk to one level down agents, but only "for the purpose of rolling upgrades".   To be within the Symantec Licensing scheme, all your agents must be at the same version as your media server

Sounds like it may be time to purchase a small server box and create a dedicated media server (my choice in any case)  Doesn't have to be all that powerful a server as long as it has plenty of RAM.  And you don't need it to be 64-bit unless you are/will be  using DeDuplication 

brianjay
Level 3

Thats what I thought. Just checking . Thanks for quick response.

I'm just going to purchase another scsi card for a different server.