cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec GRT /Exchange IS Question

ping00
Not applicable
Hi!

Have some question regarding the Exchange 2003 Agent GRT functionality and Hyper-V VM backup question.

1) I am running Weekly Exchange IS full backup with GRT, and daily differential Exchange IS backup. I found out that I am not able to restore individual mailbox using the differential backup. Is there a way to enable this? I didn't found much info regarding differntial backup and GRT.

2) When backup using Hyper-V VM backup, is the Exchange IS that is being backup in clean condition? Is there a way to do Hyper-V Exchange guest backup with GRT/ IS Backup instead of file level backup?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Answers:

1. Full and differential GRT is not supported. You can do Full and Incremental GRT with Exchange. But, the job needs to be configured using Policy. So, you can create a policy with two templates, Full and Incremental. GRT is supported for full and incremental only, but through policy.

2. Backup Exec Hyper V Agent can only give you file/folder level recovery, we cannot recover Exchange database using Agent for Hyper V. In order to backup and restore Exchange, you will need to use Exchange Agent to backup the VM directly after installing remote agent on it, as you do with a regular physical Exchange Server.

Please mark it a solution, if these answers are useful.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Answers:

1. Full and differential GRT is not supported. You can do Full and Incremental GRT with Exchange. But, the job needs to be configured using Policy. So, you can create a policy with two templates, Full and Incremental. GRT is supported for full and incremental only, but through policy.

2. Backup Exec Hyper V Agent can only give you file/folder level recovery, we cannot recover Exchange database using Agent for Hyper V. In order to backup and restore Exchange, you will need to use Exchange Agent to backup the VM directly after installing remote agent on it, as you do with a regular physical Exchange Server.

Please mark it a solution, if these answers are useful.

Thanks

Aki_M_ntyl_
Level 2
[please remove, posted in the wrong section]