cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec + S3 [A backup storage read/write error has occurred]

supportocg
Level 3

Hi,

We have BackupExec 20.4 with StoreOnce on premise and use Amazon S3 with Storage Gateway for Virtual Tape Library (VTL).

My jobs create backup onsite on StoreOnce and then they are pushed to the cloud via AWS S3 with a duplicate job. 

I only get this error from time to time and have already checked with my ISP, VPN Network team and opened a ticket with AWS. 

I ask if anyone can help me out with these failures that occur:

Job ended: venerdì 19 giugno 2020 at 02:27:11

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe00084c7 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred. If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations. If the storage is cloud based, check for network connection problems. Run the CloudConnect Optimizer to obtain a value for write connections that is suitable for your environment and use this value to run the failed backup job. Review cloud provider specific documentation to help determine the source of the problem. If the problem still persists, contact the cloud provider for further assistance.Final error category: Backup Media Errors

Duplicate- VMVCB::\\XXXXX\VCGuestVm\(DC)XXXX(DC)\vm\XXXX

An unknown error occurred on device "HPE StoreOnce:3".V-79-57344-33991 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred. If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations. If the storage is cloud based, check for network connection problems. Run the CloudConnect Optimizer to obtain a value for write connections that is suitable for your environment and use this value to run the failed backup job. Review cloud provider specific documentation to help determine the source of the problem. If the problem still persists, contact the cloud provider for further assistance. V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

I can't try cloudconnect optimizer because it's a iScSi connection.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Federico Pieraccini

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

this mostly seems to be a case with network drop. If bengine, device and media (and from settings -> device and media ->enable verbose) is selected in SGMON.exe ( BE Install Path) and backup is run and if the job fails with this error. Review the 2060* and other errors seen during the time in SGMON Log ( BE Install Path\Logs ). To check the time when the error is seen, expand the failed job log and check the exact time when the error is encountered in the job

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

supportocg
Level 3

Any updates?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is the error on the StoreOnce or on the VTL/cloud storage?  The screenshot doesn't make it clear to me.

But the message you posted "An unknown error occurred on device "HPE StoreOnce:3".V-79-57344-33991 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred." implies that it was a (read?) error on the StoreOnce?  Are there any error logs on the StoreOnce that might help?

How often does the problem happen?  Could you run some test jobs either backup straight to the VTL/cloud or a duplicate test job duplicating data from a simple B2D device to the VTL/cloud?  I would attempt to determine if the issue is directly related to the StoreOnce.

Hi, it only happens with the Virtual Tape Library. Any idea what tests I could run ? Thanks.

any updates?

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

this mostly seems to be a case with network drop. If bengine, device and media (and from settings -> device and media ->enable verbose) is selected in SGMON.exe ( BE Install Path) and backup is run and if the job fails with this error. Review the 2060* and other errors seen during the time in SGMON Log ( BE Install Path\Logs ). To check the time when the error is seen, expand the failed job log and check the exact time when the error is encountered in the job

Thank you very much for the answer. I am currently looking into what you said. We only have this failure with ONE job related to a big VM of about 2,9 TB.

The error I am getting now constantly is this:

Job Completion Status

Job ended: martedì 30 giugno 2020 at 00:11:15
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1538

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Duplicate- VMVCB::\\besimvcenter\VCGuestVm\(DC)BEFARM(DC)\vm\BEAASV01
The query for media sequence number 6 of this media family was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged. V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

Last backup history is this error E0000602 that occurs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Federico

Source backup was missing due to low retention date. The VTL job was lasting longer than the retention. Fixed and tried again and worked great. Thanks.