Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice Back to Disk / B2D

jocham-it
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

is there any best practice for B2D folders. Let's say we have the Backup Exec Server with a iSCSI Connected SAN, what is the best max file size? Where can I define when these files will be overwritten so that disk space will not be flooded?

Thanks for you help

Marcus

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Where can I define when these files will be overwritten so that disk space will not be flooded?

Go to Tools  ---> Options and set the option to Overwrite recycleable media in the targeted media set before scratch.

There is no specific recommendation for max. file size.  Big file size takes a longer time to allocate the file while smaller file size results in greater disk fragmentation.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Generally default values will be ok. But again depends upon your backup sizes. If you have 100 GB of data to backup and 4GB is the maximum file size, then 25 bkf files will be created everytime the job runs....

Where can I define when these files will be overwritten so that disk space will not be flooded?

Media set OPP, AP; Media Management option, Overwrite Protection level will define when the B2D files will get overwritten.

Medai management option: Overwrite recyclable media in the target media set before overwriting Scratch medai.

When this job begins: overwrite only.

Overwrite protection level: FULL.

jocham-it
Level 3
Partner

Ok, thank you so far.

But let's say we backup a VM into this new B2D folder, and I want to do a full backup on every 1st day of month, and the rest of the month inkremental backups, what settings do  I have to make, so that the full backup is not overwritten? Do I have to create 2 B2D Folders or separate Media Sets? Or just put the OPP to 4 weeks? What do I have to set on the "Append" option?

Thanks in advance

marcus

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No need to create two B2D folders. Create two different media sets. One for your full backup and the other for your incrementals.

How many days you want to retain your full backups? Depending on that set the OPP for FULL backup media set. I prefer NONE append so that when the job runs next time a new bkf file will be created. 

As already mentioned in earlier posts, start jobs as overwrite only. 

Regards....