cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding a job to a tape

Colin_Ard
Level 3
I have a 6-slot DAT72 drive. The office that I am backing up uses only one tape for each differential and just a hair over two for their fulls. I want to set it up so that I can label each tape and have the job for the day bound to that toape (i.e. tape labeled Monday gets the Monday differential). Is there a way that I can do this without creating 5 separate jobs to run throughout the week (using different media pools)?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only way to absolutely guarantee that a specific job goes to a specific tape is to partition the library (From the devices tab, right click the library\Create Partition), and then create separate jobs pointing to each partition.

You can come close using media sets, but there's no guarantee that everything will always do what you want it to.

Colin_Ard
Level 3
Thanks Ken. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. I guess that's what templates are for, eh?

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Keep in mind, that this way (partitioning) the backup job is bound to the partition, not the tape !
Meaning if someone puts the monday tape in the tuesday slot (partition), the backup fails with "please insert tape".

Consider to leave the loader unpartitioned and work it out by Media sets and overwrite period.

Lets say it is monday : Insert the monday tape, label it monday - it will be allocated to the mediaset (e.g. Differential) and gets op for e.g. one week
Tuesday insert te tuesday tape the same way.
It will as well be allocated to the same mediaset and protected for a week .

And so on and so on... unless someone forgets to change the tapes fo about one week.
(of corse this is not the setup in detail)

Regards

uz