cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Backup of Exchange

Ian_Neish
Level 2
I have a problem that is stopping the Exchnage CPS backup. The CP Management Service fails to start on the mail server. I cannot get it to start, I get

The Backup Exec Continuous Protection Management Service service terminated with service-specific error 8201 (0x2009).

The web restore backend also fails to start as it is dependent on CP Management  service

I'm running BE 7071 on Windows Server 2003 Std  SP2 with the latest CPS with Exchange 2003 SP2/Windows 2003 SP2 with the same CPS.
The regular back up works and the logs are truncated eand shipped to the CPS server etc. When I try to do a CPS backup with checkpoint back up of the data files, it deletes some of the destination files and only copies the logs, so I cannot recover any messages, the Exchange dbs are not moved.

Any ideas on how to get the service to start

3 REPLIES 3

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Ian:

Follow this Technote in order to get the CPA service to start.

The Continuous Protection Agent service does not start with error "The Backup Exec Continuous Protection Agent service terminated with service-specific error 8201 (0x2009)"

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

Ian_Neish
Level 2
I read this posting and tried this before posting my prob. This is the CP management service not the CPS agent. I have this on two CPS client machines, the server is working fine. This is causing the Exchange backup to be corrupted deleting the previous back up every time the agent tries to protect the mailstores(on the default 8 hour schedule) this reuslts in the scheduled backup being corrupted(cannot be restored).
Any other ideas?

Antares
Level 2
Partner
Did you ever figure this out? You are correct- they only documentation they have about this problem seems to be with the agent service - not the CPS management services. I am having the identical problem with it failing to start.  Also, when it does so it is not creating any logging in the System Logs.