cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS RPC Error 5

Darryl_Lowe
Level 2
Not a lot of troubleshooting help for this error. Install CPS that came with 11d on 3 servers. The media server and the domain controller are working fine and jobs are running. When I install the CPS agent on the Exchange 2003 server, I get an alert:

Attempt to poll the computer failed with the RPC error 5.

Now, I'm glad I was given an error number, but it offers very little help.

Same lan segment & subnet, using the same login cred. as the working domain controller server (the media CPS server is on a different Windows domain), the agent is trying to talk, no windows firewall, everything is service packed up the wazoo, nothing glaring in the event logs.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should check? Thanks in advance.

Darryl
2 REPLIES 2

Peter_Parker
Level 3
The error 5 code is the typical Windows error 5 code meaning access denied. You can see it for yourself if you open a command prompt and type "net helpmsg 5" without the quotes.

It sounds like the service on the Exchange server starts and then gets an access denied when contacting the "CMS". I think the problem is due to the multi domain environment your employing. You can test this pretty easily. Install a "test" CMS in the same domain as the Exchange server, using account credentials for that specific domain. Uninstall CPS from the Exchange server and push the agent from the test "CMS" to the Exchange server, still using the local domain credentials. If it works, which I believe it will, then thats a pretty good indication the original problem is due to the cross domain membership and you would probably start looking at the user account for the CPS services.

Darryl_Lowe
Level 2
Perfect. Makes sense. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Darryl