cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS and what am I missing?

SRS_Topscore
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have BE 2010 CPS Build 13.0.420.3302 installed, I have a job that backup files from a server to a NAS. In the Backup Job Schedule I chose "Whenever a file changes”.
Now I got the impression that it means if I change a file and save it I should be able to restore a previous version.

But when I check the Restore window I only see my current version.

Thanks in advance

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No, whenever a file changes, we back it up. So, we always get latest copy on the destination. But, then we use VSS to create snapshots as per schedule. Once snapshot is created, you get the ability to go back to an older version, in addition to current one. You can create as many as 64 snapshots, which is a limitation of VSS.

If you notice the destination folder, all it has is current files. There is no versioning system as such, it is just about snapshots.

I hope that answers your question. If it does, mark it a solution.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

You need to check snapshot schedule on the backup destination. Default is 4 hours. Versioning is based on snapshots. So, every time a snapshot is created, a new version of the file will be there.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

SRS_Topscore
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So what does "Whenever a file changes” in schedule do? Is that not a new version every time a file is saved?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

No, whenever a file changes, we back it up. So, we always get latest copy on the destination. But, then we use VSS to create snapshots as per schedule. Once snapshot is created, you get the ability to go back to an older version, in addition to current one. You can create as many as 64 snapshots, which is a limitation of VSS.

If you notice the destination folder, all it has is current files. There is no versioning system as such, it is just about snapshots.

I hope that answers your question. If it does, mark it a solution.

Thanks