cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BE12 be used to backup just the files on a W2008/SQL2008 Server?

Grindmaster
Level 2

I have BE12 with a SQL2005 Agent, but we recently upgraded SQL to 2008 on a Windows2008R2 server.  SQL is running it's own backups to a folder and I would like to just backup the files.  Can I install a regular BE agent to this server and backup just specific files or do I need a SQL2008 backup agent in order to backup anything on this server?

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think you wil be able to install the agent, however as long as you have a remote agent serial number on your media server (and no agent software is installed on your SQL server) you might be able to do a share level backup of the folder that contains your dumped SQL backup files.

You need to investigate user defined selections in the Backup Selection list to access shares (and obvioulsy the backup accounts need access to the share.

Failing that upgrade your Backup Exec version to one that does support the software and operating system on that server.

Grindmaster
Level 2

Thanks.  I shared the folders I wanted to backup and so far that worked.

macpiano
Level 6

I don't think a sql license is needed to backup the .bak files from sql's own backups.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
A SQL license is not required to backup the .bak files. But the problem here is remote server is Win 2008 R2 server on which the remote agent can not be installed as its not supported. So the only option as provided by Colin is to share the folder from the remote machine which needs to be backedup and backup from the shares. Thanks, -Sush...