Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Restore From 11d Tape to 12.5 Server

pnewell
Level 4
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a pickle...
One of my company's partners/executives came to me the other day telling me that he needed an e-mail restored from the end of 2008.  It's apparently a big deal; potential legal issues may stem from it.  After giving him the passive-aggressive "Why didn't you save it to the document management system?" answer, I now need to restore this message for him.

So the message in particular would have been backed up using a Backup Exec 11d server.  This past summer we migrated to 12.5 (completely new install on a new system), but I tried to "Catalog" the tape earlier and it stopped after about 6 minutes with a byte-count of only 3.9GB - this is not correct!  The backups are well over 200GB (compressed) and I know that the backups have been successful.  Hell, the "Properties" of the tape says that the used capacity is 158GB (uncompressed), so I know we're good there.
If I try to restore from the tape I get a message saying "You need to catalog this media before it can be used", so I try to catalog it again and it goes through in about 7 minutes with a byte count of 0.  The log says "This backup set has already been cataloged".  It also properly shows the structure of the server that was backed up.

So there is obviously an issue.  To complicate things a bit, I pulled four tapes from my monthly archives and this is the story for two of them.  It's been well communicated that we must restore this message, but it looks like BE is giving me "The Business" while trying to restore it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  I also unchecked the "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations", but that made no difference.
Worse-comes-to-worst, I could try to restore to the old 11d server, but the GRT never seemed to work properly with it, and I really do not want to have to restore the Exchange database and connect it to a faux server...

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pnewell
Level 4
I called support today and asked them about it.

Turns out in order to use GRT I had to "Duplicate" the tape/backup set to a local B2D folder.  After I did I was able to do a restore from the B2D media and was able to browse the storage group and  recover the user's Sent Items folder.

This thread can be closed/deleted/whatever.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pnewell
Level 4
I called support today and asked them about it.

Turns out in order to use GRT I had to "Duplicate" the tape/backup set to a local B2D folder.  After I did I was able to do a restore from the B2D media and was able to browse the storage group and  recover the user's Sent Items folder.

This thread can be closed/deleted/whatever.  Thanks!