cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled backup to disk will not stop

Cat_Adams
Level 5

I am using Backup Exec 2012 and I cannot get a backup to disk to cancel.    It shows in the Status as CAncel Pending,  this has been going on for a couple hours now.  I still have a couple of jobs running so I cannot restart the services.

what is up with Backup Exec 2012 refresh rate on things??  Why will this not stop??

Thanks much

Cathy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, sorry you have to go that route.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The cancel operation is not a sledgehammer approach, the job has to reach a point where the cancel can tidy up processes and statuses in a safe way. Unfortunately sometimes this will never happen and you are then forced to restart BE services.

I guess the real issue is why did you cancel, was this a job that already appeared hung (as if yes and problem is regular then maybe you should log a formal suppprt case for us to look at the reason for the hung job.)

BTW if you do have to kill processes on the media server mid job then remember to check status of VSS on the server being backed up or things like snapshots left behind in VMware environments as you may have to take manual steps to correct

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi Cathy,

Been around forever. I've had this with BE 11d, 12.5, and all 3 versions of BE 2010!

BE seems to hang onto the process while something completes. Never seen it fixed, so there must be some sort of legitimacy to it (I guess!), but stopping the services was the only way I could get it to break the process.

Have you tried to stop the remote agent on the remote server?

Thanks!

Cat_Adams
Level 5

Hey there Craig..   No I have not tried doing that.  I will now and let you know.

thanks again..   I really am thinking about going ahead with an upgrade to 2014.

Cathy

Cat_Adams
Level 5

Nope that did not work.  I will have to restart the services on the backup server.

Not sure why this won't stop.

Thanks again  Craig.

Cathy

CraigV

OK, sorry you have to go that route.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The cancel operation is not a sledgehammer approach, the job has to reach a point where the cancel can tidy up processes and statuses in a safe way. Unfortunately sometimes this will never happen and you are then forced to restart BE services.

I guess the real issue is why did you cancel, was this a job that already appeared hung (as if yes and problem is regular then maybe you should log a formal suppprt case for us to look at the reason for the hung job.)

BTW if you do have to kill processes on the media server mid job then remember to check status of VSS on the server being backed up or things like snapshots left behind in VMware environments as you may have to take manual steps to correct

Cat_Adams
Level 5

Thanks to  you both Craig and Colin.    I have decided to add my RAM to my server and upgrade to 2014.  I believe at this point, that is the best way to go.  I will post to let you know if that was a good dicsion or not.

Thanks again for all you do.

Cathy

CraigV

Glad to have helped!