cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Install Antivirus on Backup Exec 12 server

nmackie
Level 2
Hello,

I have a working install of Backup Exec 12 however I had to remove my Symantec antivirus 10.1.5 as I was told it was not compatible with Backup Exec 12. So the question remains how do I get some antivirus installed? (without going with another product) The backup server is also my main file server and having antivirus on it is a must.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Neil
7 REPLIES 7

Level 3
Consider switching to ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky Labs anti-virus.  The latest A-V products from Symantec are causing me more problems than they solve.  Time to find a better product.

toma
Level 4
If you can get version 10.1.6000 or greater (10.1.6010 or 10.1.7000 will work too) then you can just upgrade your 10.1.5000 version.   Only versions older than 10.1.6000 are not compatible. 

Tom

nmackie
Level 2
Excellent! Thank you Tom I shall download this new version right away.

craigpower
Level 2
I'm having a similar problem, in that the environment check for upgrading from BE 11 to BE 12 flags this issue and references Symantec document 290544, advising me to upgrade to Symantec AntiVirus version 10.1.6.6000 or later.

However, because we obtained our Symantec Client Security 3.1 through TechSoup (www.techsoup.org, an organization that provides low-cost software to non-profit organizations), and because Symantec doesn't provide support for its products obtained through this channel, I'm unable to download even the point upgrade necessary to work around this issue.

For any Symantec employee monitoring this thread, is there any way that I can obtain at least the necessary point upgrade to have these two Symantec products work together successfully?

Craig

Stingray_2
Level 2
I have the same issue; however, my error message is as follows:

The image file ......is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine"

The install will not start.  We are using AntiVirus 10.1.6.600 on a 2003 R2 server.  We do not use Endpoint Management.  These were the only two warnings during the Environment Check.  I can start the installation process with BE10d, but 12 will not get past this error.  Any assistance anyone is able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

nmackie
Level 2
Hello Stingray,

Generally when you get teh error message "but is for a machine type other than the current machine" it means you are trying to install a software package that is not built for the current OS/processor. For example you can get this message if you are trying to install a 64 bit application on a 32bit OS.

Check to make sure you have the right version for both the OS and Processor.

Here is another post with someone the same problem you are having. They have Itanium processors which aren't supported.

Hope this helps,
Neil

Stingray_2
Level 2
Thanks for your reply.  I had this installed on the machine, but was told to remove and reinstall after adding roles to the server.  I added the DNS, DHCP, and Domain Controller roles to the server and attempted to reinstall BE 12 when I got the error.  After adding the roles to the server, I ran environment check again.  The only issues were AV 10 and Endpoint.  Are there any known issues with Server Roles and BE 12?  Are there any services that must be  Enabled / Disables?