cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials

timhenn
Level 3
I have a new install of BE 12.5 SP3.  I've managed to run some successful small file based backups after working through initial errors.  
In attempting to run a full system backup (everything selected) I get the following error:

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error : e00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-766 The account running the backup is an admin of all flavors including an exchange admin. After reading through some other posts I'm attempting to backup just the system state to see if this is the step this is failing on verus running the full backup which takes quite a while. What is actually failing? Is there a way to test this condition without running timely backups? What would be the smallest backup that logs onto MAPI? I backed up Exchange by selecting just Exchange so its not that. Please help. Tim
8 REPLIES 8

Douglas_Hartley
Level 3
From experience this may not actually be a credential problem. I think the easiest way to check the credentials is to go into the Exchange job selection list and and find the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" item on your Exchange server. Click on it, can you see the mailboxes listed? If so then there should not be a credential problem.

The job that is failing wouldn't happen to be created by a policy would it? If it is, delete the job and recreate it from your policy. I'm not sure why but my Exchange job is prone to this from time to time. Delete and recreate was Symantec's solution.

I hope that helps.

Edit: I noticed you're trying to a do a full system backup so this may not be applicable. I remember being asked a few times by Symantec support if I was backing anything besides the information store. I would think that the jb is failing backing up the information store though. You could try backing up just the store if you want. If it fails then that's it. You could then try to steps in my original post.

timhenn
Level 3
I've been able to backup the information store with nothing else selected

I've been able to backup the system state with nothing else selected

When I select the entire server I get the MAPI error.  I created the selection list and job manually.  I have since created a policy and the resulting jobs from that policy so I can try running that job to see if it makes a difference.

Douglas_Hartley
Level 3
What version of Exchange are you running? Presummably, none of the "reason"s mention in that KB artcile are applicable since your info store backup works fine.

Have you tried creating a new user and setting it up as noted in solution 1 in that KB article? I know that sounds odd but I've had that fix my MAPI problem in one instance.

M__Hylarides
Level 3
You need to have the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects tool installed on the mailserver as long as you're running Exchange 2007.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e17e7f31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a11...

What version of Exchange are you trying to backup anyway?

timhenn
Level 3

I've already installed the MAPI and CDO tool.

Version is Exchange 2007 as ships with Small Business Server 2008.

I have not created a new user yet -- I'm using the administrator accoun that was specified in the install of the software.  If I add a new user is there a shorter test to check that it works?  Doing a multi-hour full backup to see pass/fail is painful to say the least.  As i've stated I can do a system state and information store backup without fail.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Douglas_Hartley
Level 3
I don't know of a way to acurately test it short of a full backup. I sympathize with you on the pain of waiting on a job just to see if it's going to work.

In the case where I resolved my issue by creating a new user it was identicle to the old one. I was using a admin user just for BE though.

Is BE installed on the SBS 08 server with Exchange on it? I didn't know if the Exchange agent could be missing an update.

Although it's not a solution, I have been told that it's recommended to do the store by itself and do data in a separate job. It should work in one job but it's easier to troubleshoot separated out. Just something to consider after you've got it working.

Doug

M__Hylarides
Level 3
'Back in the days' one of our customers had a similar problem. We fixed that by editing the resource order. We configured the job to first backup the first and second information store, and then the rest. Worked like a charm. I reckon we did this with v12.0, but I'm not entirely certain.

timhenn
Level 3

Yes!  I changed the backup order to the information store (first and then second) were backed up first.  I also removed the shadow copy from the full backup but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem.  Full backup, finally, completed.   Thanks!