cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Fails on Old Media

geldridge
Level 3

I am having a hard time getting a catalog of some old tapes to complete.  I have three DLT IV tapes in total containing old exchange data.  I load the full tape and can perform the inventory without issue.  I then perform a catalog with the following settings: Unchecked both "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" and uchecked (Use storage-based catalogs).  I have actually tried all variations of these.

The catalog runs and I can see it reading the tape as it is displaying the mailboxes in the status area.  After two hours and 38.2GB later it throws an error:

Job ended: Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 3:58:50 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Catalog- \\CORREO\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes 

The media operation was terminated.

Catalog

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I have tried recreating the catalogs folder, ran the BEUtility to set the media operations to prompt (I actually never get prompted to change tapes).  Getting a little frustrated as it cannot be this difficult to read an old tape.  I see the data I want when it is cataloging it, I just can't get it off the tape!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Grant

P.S.:  I opened a case as well but I am running out of time.

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

How much data is present on the tape? I think that the Catalogging is getting completed but just not finishing the job.

Have you tried to ignore the Catalog error and try to restore the data? I am sure as it has Catalogged 32 GB data you will be able to see the data for restore.

Thanks,

-Sush...

geldridge
Level 3

Hi Sush,

That is what I was thinking because it certainly puts a lot of effort into reading the tape.  There is no option to ignore the error it just fails and I'm unable to browse the backup sets (it is empty).  So it appears the failed job prevents the catalog from been recorded or made available.

Grant

geldridge
Level 3

I spoke with support about this yesterday.  Unforunately BE2012 does not support Exchange 2000, which is what these old backups are from.  So even though it appears to be cataloging the tape and I can see it churning through mailboxes the fact that BE 2012 does not support EX2000 means they cannot help me.

I will need to come up with some hardware with a SCSI interface that I can install an older version of Backup Exec on to do the restore.  That could take some time.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.