cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Password? Unable to restore data

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
We are experiencing a MAJOR problem performing a restore, cataloging an encrypted tape in a freshly built BE11d environment results in an Error state: 

Catalog
The password provided in the job definition does not match the password for this media.
No sets on this media may be cataloged.

We do not use “Tape Password” protection in BE11d, this option is not available and has been replaced with Encryption Key which we do use.

ALL HELP will be appreciated!

Eric Reid

7 REPLIES 7

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Eric,

The media you are attempting to restore, was it backed up on this same server? Has Backup Exec been uninstalled/reinstalled since the backup was done?

Greg

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
Greg, I have an excisting CASO server with 13 Media Servers, we use one restricted encryption key for all 2nd tier backups to tape.  If I take any of the tapes that ran 2nd tier into a brand new BE11d server in our test lab to conduct a restore, I can inventory the tape but cannot catalog the tape.  When I attempt to catalog the tape it failes with an incorrect password error.  We should be prompted for the encryption key pass phrase and were not.  This is a major problem.

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
Also we do have an open case but support is very slow..... This poses a major problem for Disaster Recovery!  Support case number is 290-760-162

Your help is appreciated.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
On your lab server, under Tools> Encryption keys, do you have the same encryption key created as on the backup server?

Can we test in the opposite direction? Do a test backup on the lab server, with encryption. Then see if the same error occurs when you catalog it in your production environment.

We've tested here, and you shouldn't be seeing the catalog password error, the error should indicate you needing to have the correct encryption key .

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4

Greg, I believe we know what's going on..... When we migrated over to BE11d we copied our policies from BE10d to BE11d.  The policies that existed in BE10 had password protection, it appears that those policies that password protected our second tier jobs somehow wrote information to the BE11d SQL database, thus causing this issue.  We concluded that because we tried running a catalog on a tape that a newly created policy with encryption was created on BE11d and the result was positive.  Can you try this in your lab and see if you get the same result, and if you do, can Symantec fix this?  The Scenario I'm asking for you to test is the following....

1.) Create a policy in BE10 that writes data to tape, within this policy create a password protection on the media. (You do not have to use this policy).

2.) Copy BE10 policy to BE11d and modify policy by adding an encryption key

3.) Run backup in BE11d to tape with encryption

4.) Take tape and run catalog in "new" BE11d that doesn't have encryption key

Please let me know if you get the same result, this affect our entire Disaster Recovery process.

Thanks,

Eric Reid

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Eric,

Sincere thanks for the clear and concise information. Due to other items of equal and greater urgency, I'm going to need a day or so to set up as close as possible to duplicate your arrangement. I'll be working this weekend, so hopefully I'll have an answer for you by then. Best-case, I hope to find a way around the password requirement from the 10.d policy. Worst-case, I'll be able to duplicate the issue and get engineering to look at it and see if they have a solution. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Eric_Reid_2
Level 4
I truly appreciate all your efforts.