cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed administrator password = inability to backup System State data

Robert_Brooks
Level 3

Hello all,

We've changed our admin password and ever since we get the following error message:

V-79-57344-33916 - An error occurred retrieving System State files.
The System State file could not be backed up.

We use a totally seperate account to run BackupExec and that password has not changed.
All other data does successfully backup.
We have rebooted the server and there is no problem with hard drive space as implied by the tech article written for this error.  It is linked with the changed password as this job has worked flawlessly until the change and will work if we switch the password back.  I do not know where/how to update the password info for BackupExec (remember we use a totally differend AD account to run BackupExec which has NOT changed).  I'm not sure why the Admin password switch is creating this problem since we use the alternative account for BE. (Windows 2000 SP4 with BE 12.5)

Thanks for your assistance!

12 REPLIES 12

chicojrman
Level 6
Verify BE services have the correct logon password of which you changed.

chicojrman
Level 6
Verify BE services have the correct logon password of which you changed.

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
I did the following:

1.  Tools | Wizards | LogOn Account Wizard
       I went through this but it only listed the BackupExec Admin user, not the Admin AD account that we changed the password on.

2.  Network | Logon Accounts
      Again, this listed ONLY the specific account we created to run BE, not the changed Admin account

3.  Network | Connect to Media Server
      Here is DID list the Admin account that we changed, so I put in the new password and hit OK.  It appeared to connect successfully.

4.  I stopped all BE Services.  Then I started them all again.

Is there anything specifically I should do?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
is the BackupExec service account still a member of either the Domain Admins, or a local admin on the problem machine?

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276901.htm

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
That's the article I was referring to, unfortunately none of those things apply or work. 

C: drive has plenty of space
Both servers have been rebooted
How can I check what the BESA account is?  I believe that it is the special AD Account that we setup especially for BackupExec and this account has not changed since we were running Veritas Backup Exec 8.

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
Good thought, but we didn't alter group membership for any of the users.  We have two accounts, a general network admin account and a specific account just for BE.  The BE account has been untouched since version 8 of BE.  The NetAdmin account had it's password changed and since then we cannot backup the System state.

Is there somewhere in the program where the NetworkAdmin account may be listed.  I've looked all over but can't find it!  sigh...

Thanks for all the help so far.

Robert_Brooks
Level 3

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
I was going to go into:

Tools | Backup Exec Services | Services credentials
And from here change/update the account to the special AD account just for BE?  But frankly, I don't know exactly what that will do or change.  Any thoughts?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303066.htm

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
Ken,

I successfully did what the tech article said.  It requires a reboot which I will do tonight after all my users are out.

Thank you both for your input.

I'll keep you posted as to the results.  Thanks again!

Robert_Brooks
Level 3
Well, I've done all that you both suggested without any success.  Any further ideas?  Does anyone from Symantec patrol these forums?

Thanks for all that you've done thus far.

Robert