cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The shadow copy of volume C: could not grow its shadow copy storage on volume C:\...

Joed11
Level 3
I am using Backup Exec for Windows 12 to backup several other Windows 2003 servers.  I am using the Remote Agent to perform the backups over the network.  Two servers are running Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 with a couple virtual servers in production.  On the servers with Virtual Server, I get the following series of messages in the event log when the backup kicks off:

Information: The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

Information: Opened \??\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy49\Vi successfully.

Error: The shadow copy of volume C:\...b9d78487} could not grow its shadow copy storage on volume C:\...b9d78487}.

Information: Volume C:\...S\Temp\{90d4644f-1615-11de-8266-0019b9d78487} is being reverted to the state of a previous shadow copy.

Information: The reverting of volume C:\...S\Temp\{90d4644f-1615-11de-8266-0019b9d78487} to the state of a previous shadow copy is complete.

Information: Microsoft Virtual Server Storage Device has been removed.

These messages are repeated a second time during the course of the backup.  The backup job completes successfully on the backup server.  This obviously has something to do with the Virtual Server or Virtual Machines but I can't find anything about it in the knowledge base.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Joe

5 REPLIES 5

chicojrman
Level 6
Sounds like resource issues on your vs 2005 svr, you can test your VSS writers.

Joed11
Level 3
What do you mean by resource issue?  Drive space?  RAM?  I think I have sufficient available of both.  I also have shadow copies disabled for the physical drives, so this is not (or should not be) related to the VSC of the drives themselves.  My understanding is the Backup Exec server agent will use the shadow copy services to backup copies of any virtual machines it finds.  Can you give me your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Joe

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using the Agent for VMWare or trying to backup the Virtual machines via an agent on each one?

Joed11
Level 3
I am using the standard Remote Agent for Windows Servers.  I am not technically trying to backup the virtual machines.  (I perform a shutdown and backup the VHD files in a separate operation for that.)  I am simply trying to backup certain files on the physical host that is running Windows 2003.  Backing up the virtual machines is kind of a plus, but not if it generates errors.

Thanks.
Joe

Joed11
Level 3
Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks,
Joe