cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client RIS server Backup

Kyu_Han
Level 3
I am trying to migrate a RIS volume from a Win2k/sp4 server machine to a new machine with new hardware. I have another server that operates as the BE media server. It is on this machine that I backup the RIS machine through the remote server agent. My problem is I'm not able to restore the RIS data onto the new machine also running a server agent. Some of the SIS files are appear to be broken. I have sveral questions :
1. What are the exact procedures for backing up a remote RIS server ?
2. Does the media server need to have bkupsis.dll installed ?
3. What is the exact procedure for restoring to a remote server hosting RIS ?
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

When you restore the RIS server data to a new machine, do you get any error messages?

1. You can backup a remote RIS server from the backup selections- from the tab remote selections
2. Could you elaborate on what this dll is?
3. Refer to the following technote that provides steps on performing redirected restores:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/196460

Revert if the above information does not answer your queries.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Kyu_Han
Level 3
I'm not getting any error messages on the restore. The dll file on question 2 is sisbkup.dll sorry, I got the name wrong.

I'm beggining to think that I'm not backing up the ris server properly. When backing up the Ris server, do you select the "sis common store" directory as part of the backup or will backup exec know to back up the sis files when the stub files are selected ? What exactly should we select to backup the sis volume ?

thanks

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please check the following documents:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867765 and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261829.htm
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Kyu_Han
Level 3
I did the hotfix, but it did not help.

I ended up backing up the original RIS server by having the each of the stub files expand to it's original form. I also discovered that unchecking the "Enable single instance backup" in the Advanced option still backs up the system as SIS. I had to actually rename the "Sisbkup.dll" file in order for BE to backup the RIS files expanded. It took longer but definitely more reliable of a backup and I was able to transport it to another machine.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems renaming the "Sisbkup.dll" did the trick in your case. Could we presume that your issue is resolved? If not, do revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.