cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression wrong

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
Working with symantec backup exec 12.0 for a while already, one week I am having trouble backing up LTO tape-dell, it starts back up and asks for second tape, as if the space of the tape is finished. I believe he is not doing the compression of the files correctly, someone could help me?
24 REPLIES 24

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
So did that fit onto 1 tape?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1 - 200GB 400GB uncompressed and compressed the total file is 295GB.

How much data is written to the second tape?

I generally assume about 1.2-1.3.1 until a specific job has run a few times and I can get an average for that specific job.

if not very much gets written to the follow on tape, then you are getting ~1.5:1, which wouldn't be bad at all

CESAR_JUNIOR
Level 3
No, today when he gave 295GB asked the other strand.

CraigV
Then that is about right...to get 400GB on a 200GB tape in 2:1 compression is pretty much best-case scenario. I haven't seen it before, although it is possible.
Your only way to sort this out would be...

1. Continue spanning over 2 tapes.
2. Buy a larger tape drive (be it stand-alone, autoloader, library) and the associated tapes.
3. Clean up some files and folders and therefore make the backups smaller. Look at excluding files like *.mp3, *.wav etc.

Some files are compressed already, meaning Backup Exec won't compress them further. I think that what you're getting is the best you will get on those tapes in your current setup.

Laters!

CraigV

Hi,

Did you ever come right here? If so, can you close off with the solution?

Thanks!