Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to Virtual Point-in-time requests for media to be loaded

arielc
Level 4

Ful backup Scenario:

• Daily Full Backup to Disk Storage
  • Duplicate Full Backup - Tape - Linked

I'm tyring to convert a full backup of my physical servers to a hyper-V machine. The Hyper-V server is also the media server so basically I'm just restoring it to the same server. Everytime I try to convert a full backup, it asks for the tape media to be loaded. Since my full backup for each day is stored in the Disk storage and tape, I might have selected the duplicate backup from the Point in time drop down box (there's no way to tell in the selection the source of the backup). I have tried both dates from the selection just to find out which one is from the disk storage and tape. When I'm sure which one is from the tape, I tried using the other date as the Point in time source. It will begin converting some amount of backup, but when it reaches around 6GB of conversion, it will ask the tape media to be loaded. This is the part that confuses me. I tried loading the tape and it continued the conversion. I can notice that it will just read a few data on the tape and then revert using the disk storage. The conversion will complete after that. But when I dont load the tape, I dont have a choice but the cancel the job since it asks for the tape media.

Is there anyone who had experienced this also?

4 REPLIES 4

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

We are investigating on this behavior and will update you soon on the findings.

In the meanwhile as a workaround, if feasible, reschedule your job sequence to avoid the mentioned behavior

- Schedule Full Backup to Disk Storage

- Link or schedule Convert to Virtual from PIT after the backup to disk completes

- Schedule Duplicate to Tape.

- Sameer

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Update. We have escalated the issue to development to research and resolve.

Thanks,

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Would also request you to get in touch with Tech support and open a support case for this.

Thanks,

arielc
Level 4

This steps will not work for us as we do not convert to virtual regularly/everyday/every week. We just convert it once a month for testing purposes.

I'll just wait for hot fix regarding this issue.