cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt catalog files

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Running Backup Exec 2010 R3

Twice in the past 5 months I've had jobs fail with the error V-79-57344-3849. The error link sends me to a page stating that the issue is due to a corrupt catalogs folder or not enough space for the catalogs.

The space is not the issue (Still have over 4 GB on the drive when the error occurs)

The suggestion is to re-create the catalogs folder but I would like to know why the folder is becoming corrupt in the first place. I don't want to have to re-catalog any old tapes I may have to restore from as this is time-consuming and kind of defeats the purpose of having a running catalogs folder.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, have you found a solution that stops the catalogs folder from becoming corrupt?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I suppose you checked the TN below where it suggested you rename your current Catalogs folder and then reindexed them?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53393

Also make sure you're running SP2 for BE 2010 R3, and that any AV on the media server isn't actively scanning the BE services/installation directory...this can cause some funny issues to occur across different AVs (McAfee/SEP amongst them!).

Thanks!

jgrywacheski
Level 4

I have renamed the Catalogs folder... about 3 times this year already. But my issue is, why is this happening? It's very inconvenient that the catalog folders keep corrupting and have to be renamed. I would like to manage just 1 catalog folder.

Basically I'm trying to figure out why the folder is corrupting in the first place.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...an AV can corrupt the Catalogs folder, so check and see if the folder is included in an active scan. If so, remove it from this.

The other suggestion I'd make is to ensure that there isn't excessive fragmentation on your HDD.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Thank you for the quick response.

I've removed the Symantec Program Files folder from the AV scan.

As for the fragmentation, are you talking about fragmentation on the server running Backup Exec or the server that seems to be causing the corruption?

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

To repair your catalog folder and to force it to upgrade to the latest schema.

Regards,