cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Backup Sets

EStanev
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I have Backup Exec 15 /14.2 Rev. 1180 (64-bit)/ server, OS: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 with Feature Pack 1 and Hotfix 232086 installed. I'm trying to rebuld the Catalog, i've renamed the Catalog folder to Catalog.OLD (CheckReclaimSpaceIntervalMinutes is set to 0) then started the "Inventory and Catalog now" process. The inventory job finished successfully , but the catalog job has failed with error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Catalog

The media operation was terminated by the user.

After enabling the showhiddenmedia option within the registry, im able to see each of the media sets associated with "The media operation was terminated by the user" error. In the contents section of each media there is an error "Terminated Backup Set / Corrupted" / "File is corrupted". My question here is how can i get rid of these 5 media sets (i have total 5089 sets):

OST0003771
OST0003168
OST0001339
OST0000934
OST0005834

stsinv tool provided by the support does not work at all ... Is it possible to move them in the "Quarantined media" section or in the "Retired media" with BEMCMD so they wont be used by the system?

Thank you for your time!

Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I hope you have excluded everything to do with the deduplication storage from any kind of antivirus scanning (especially if quarantining is enabled) as the actions of AV products in the dedup folders is one of the most common ways to corrupt media in deduplication (not that this will fix your problem you do need a support case for that but it could make sure you avoid the problem  in the future)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You should raise a case at Symantec Support.

the OST files/folders are part of the deduplication storage. you need them all. So if some of them are corrupt, you'll should try to repaird them (symantec support should repair them)

otherwise I think all of your backups are useless.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I hope you have excluded everything to do with the deduplication storage from any kind of antivirus scanning (especially if quarantining is enabled) as the actions of AV products in the dedup folders is one of the most common ways to corrupt media in deduplication (not that this will fix your problem you do need a support case for that but it could make sure you avoid the problem  in the future)