cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D2D2T backup jobs ....Tape Backups way smaller then Disk Backups

lost_in_transla
Not applicable
I have two different servers that I run two differtent  full backup  to DISK jobs then I run two differernt duplicate jobs to tape . On both servers the duplicate jobs to tape  are way smaller then the full backup job. For excample one backup job is 271 gb and the duplicate job is 70 GB
I run B2D, than i duplicate the job to tape. The duplicate job is always much smaller than the original job.  I have software  compression turned  on for the full backup with no key and i have hardware compresion for the duplicate job. I know what your thinking  but making it encrypted backup and the difference comprestion between hardware and software should not be that big now should it?  from 271GB to 70 GB?  the comprestion Ratio to tape is 1.02:1 . I am worried i am missing alot of data on my tape backups
Anyone have any ideas
1 REPLY 1

smholden
Level 3
In my experience, the difference in backup sizes is normal.  I've found the software compression to be just as effective as hardware.  My last full backup to disk was 699GB, but the duplicate to tape reports 359GB.  That's a compression ratio of roughly 1.95:1 during the backup to disk.  The duplicate to tape, however, can not compress the data any further, hence the reported 1.02:1 ratio on the tape.  Unfortunately, Backup Exec will not report the compression ratio on a backup to disk device.

Hope this helps ease your fear!  You could always do some test restore jobs as well.

-Scott