cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO (desktop and laptop option) Agent don't run when nobody is logged on.

Spooky
Level 2
Hello,

Is it possible to have a DLO(Backup exec 11D) agent installed on a XP workstation and let it run unattended even without being logged on?

The issue is that several users are using this desktop and I would like to have DLO backup files at night when nobody is logged on to the computer.
I already tried with a Scheduled task but without succes, the task does not run when the computer is at logon screen.
I hope it is possible because DLO is really a nice tool.

I hope you can help me on this issue

Thanks a lot,
Spooky

4 REPLIES 4

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

In order to backup the workstation the user needs to be log in into the domain .
It needs to rights to the user profile to backup the files.

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Ken_Onwere
Level 4
I do recall reading (on the symantec website write-ups for DLO v12.5) that unattended backups could be done. After all, why would the DLO admin console (on the media server) give you the option of scheduling backups or performing an immediate backup of a computer? 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

DLO is designed on a user basis so that if more than one user operates a workstation then each user's data receives a separate profile for backup - bear in mind the profiles are deigned to locate things like My Documents and PST files which are unique to the user. 

If you are trying to do general backups of XP Workstations then you can just install the Remote Agent for Windows instead of DLO and run a backup that way - this will work even if the workstation is logged out. Note: For XP workstatons you do not need to purchase a remote agent license, but for Vista you would have to buy licenses. Of course the standard remote agent does not offer the ability for the user to restore their own files or any way to segrate who own's the files being backed up and also cannot do incremental PST backups etc so you gain in one way and lose in another.

Ken_Onwere
Level 4
Thanks for the reply.  I guess it's decision time for me.