cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data gathering utility in Backup Exec

smart2011
Level 4

Hi,

is ther any data gathering utility in Backup Exec. Normally in NetBackup we use NetBackup Support Utility (NBSU) to collect all inforamtion of NetBackup environment.

Likewise i want to know any utiltiy in Backup Exec. I've checked BE diagnostic utility,but that tool is mainly for Support team, individuals like me cannot read those output.

Look forward for update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not 100% sure that the bediag reader is available outside of Symantec - although all the reader actually does is split up the text output from BEDIAG to make it slightly easier to read - I usually read them manually anyway.

The gather utiltiies that come with Backup Exec 2010 R2 are

bediag.exe (text based config report and shoudl be available on a remote server)

vxgather.exe (included bediag report but also gathers logs files and other evidence into a CAB file, also shoudl be available on a remote server)

BE_SupportTool.exe (Support tool that tries to analyze conditions and recommend updates/changes - can gather similar information to vxgather. Not available on a remote server)

All 3 of these are presented as menu options with Backup Exec's console.

Tools --> BackuP Exec Diagnostics...

Tools --> Support Utiltiies --> Run the Gather Utility...

Tools --> Support Utilities --> Run the Support Tool...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

If you have bediag reader then you can use bediag reader to read bediag which gives complete information about enviorment

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5479

or you can use live debugging tool for backupexec by going to tools-support utilty--live debugging toolas 2nd option to see what exactly is going wrong called sgmon

Thank You

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not 100% sure that the bediag reader is available outside of Symantec - although all the reader actually does is split up the text output from BEDIAG to make it slightly easier to read - I usually read them manually anyway.

The gather utiltiies that come with Backup Exec 2010 R2 are

bediag.exe (text based config report and shoudl be available on a remote server)

vxgather.exe (included bediag report but also gathers logs files and other evidence into a CAB file, also shoudl be available on a remote server)

BE_SupportTool.exe (Support tool that tries to analyze conditions and recommend updates/changes - can gather similar information to vxgather. Not available on a remote server)

All 3 of these are presented as menu options with Backup Exec's console.

Tools --> BackuP Exec Diagnostics...

Tools --> Support Utiltiies --> Run the Gather Utility...

Tools --> Support Utilities --> Run the Support Tool...