cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Storage went down after password change

MF_Jones
Level 3

Hi all,

The account I used to install BE2012 had the password changed. The same account is being used for services logon rights. After the password was changed, deduplication storage went offline. 

So I went to Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Services and select  Edit credentials. I filled up the data needed, and pressed OK. Afterwards I received the following error.

be1.PNG

So new password was not applied, then I went to services.msc on the backup server and changed the passwords manually one by one, and changed the password of the account that were used on BE2012 from the corresponding menu on BE2012 console . I tried to do it again on BE2012 but I got the same error. Deduplication storage was still offline on BE2012 after manual password change. 

After reading half of Google, I saw a post that suggests removing and readding the deduplication store would help the situation thus mending some wrong stuff that might have been in the database of deduplication so would the remove-add process fix those errors. 

I have removed the deduplication storage from BE2012, the folders that were created by BE2012 are still where they used to be. I tried readding the storage  and got this error:

be2.PNG

The events on server after the error are : 

Event ID:1   Source: spold

The description for Event ID 1 from source spoold cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

2: 
BadValue : (none)
File     : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
Section  : Symantec\PureDisk\ContentRouter
Entry    : ConfigFilePath
Reason   : Empty or missing configuration directive, file not found or access denied.

Event ID:1  Source:spad

The description for Event ID 1 from source spad cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

-1: Authentication failed, invalid password ! 

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MF_Jones
Level 3

Hi there,  after 3 days of battle the issue is gone at last. I had to open a case with Symatec support as mentioned by Sush. Support guys were extremely helpful. 

Long story short, it was all a password error. As I mentioned at my first entry, I had changed the password of the user that was used in services credentials and Backup Exec Logon Account. There are two accounts in Backup Exec Logon Account. One of them is the account which is being used at services credentials. The other one is the one that was being used on deduplication storage area. I had changed both account's passwords. 

I changed the password of deduplication user back to the old one and it worked. I was able to add the deduplication storage back with all the data.  I got to give it to the guys at Symantec Support. They did a good job.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Change the password for your BE service account using BEutility.exe which will do it properly.

Once done, follow the TN below to change the dedupe password accordingly:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125339

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Jones,

I would suggest to open a case with Symantec Support as soon as possible. I am suggesting this to avoid any further damage to the Dedupe folder which could not be reversed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

MF_Jones
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I got stuck at the second step.

I changed the password fot BE service account using BEutility.exe. No problems there. Then I followed the KB you mentioned at the link. 

When I try to list the users for deduplication DB , I get the following error. 

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>spauser.exe -l
Error: 2:
BadValue : (none)
File     : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
Section  : Symantec\PureDisk\ContentRouter
Entry    : ConfigFilePath
Reason   : Empty or missing configuration directive, file not found or access denied.
Error: -1:  configManager->init failed!

As I mentioned on the above post, the deduplication storage stays removed. Can't attach it back on. 

MF_Jones
Level 3

Hi there,  after 3 days of battle the issue is gone at last. I had to open a case with Symatec support as mentioned by Sush. Support guys were extremely helpful. 

Long story short, it was all a password error. As I mentioned at my first entry, I had changed the password of the user that was used in services credentials and Backup Exec Logon Account. There are two accounts in Backup Exec Logon Account. One of them is the account which is being used at services credentials. The other one is the one that was being used on deduplication storage area. I had changed both account's passwords. 

I changed the password of deduplication user back to the old one and it worked. I was able to add the deduplication storage back with all the data.  I got to give it to the guys at Symantec Support. They did a good job.