cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication. Windows Server 2012 r2 & Backup Exec 2014

Burndown
Level 3

Hi, I've just installed Backup Exec 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Upon configuring storage my plan was to create a deduplication volume to use as my main backup target.

However, this appears to not be an option and the textbox suggests using Windows to control Dedupe. (I can add the role easily enough)

My quesion is : Is this correct or have I missed something?

My other backup exec server is windows 2008 and backup exec 2014. On that server has the option to create the Disk folder as a deduplication store.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the software is in trial mode, open the Backup Exec button, select Installation and Licensing, and then select Install Options and Licenses on this Backup Exec Server.

Click Next and place a check mark against the DeDuplication Option. Continue ahead with the install wizard.

This should install the DeDupe option as well in trial mode. This will only work if the trial period hasn't expired yet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  Did you enter the Deduplication Option license?    In Windows services do you see Backup Exec Deduplication Engine and Backup Exec Deduplication Manager services? Are they started?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using the BE dedup option, then you should not use a Windows dedup volume for the BE dedup folder.

If you do not have the licence for the BE dedup option, it could be that you have installed the dedup option and is using it in trial mode.  The trial will last 60 days after which you would not be able to use dedup.  You can check the licence status by clicking on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and Licence Info.

Burndown
Level 3

OK thanks everyone for clearing that up. The software is currently in trial mode as I'm awaiting my keys but I thought that installed all options?

I just wanting to get cracking on the insall whilst I waited. smiley

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the software is in trial mode, open the Backup Exec button, select Installation and Licensing, and then select Install Options and Licenses on this Backup Exec Server.

Click Next and place a check mark against the DeDuplication Option. Continue ahead with the install wizard.

This should install the DeDupe option as well in trial mode. This will only work if the trial period hasn't expired yet.

LegAEI
Level 5

As an aside, I have been using a deduplication-enabled volume as a backup-to-disk device for my vhost backups. The configuration has been successful for the past four weeks and my random restores to verify things are working properly have all been good / not suffered performance issues.

I still use the BE deduplication option for my direct server backups, on account of the savings in transfer speeds.

I still wouldn't run a BE deduplication store on a windows deduplication enabled volume without excluding the dedupe store and control folders. The BE deduplication store already requires some babysitting and adding that layer of complexity seems like inviting trouble.