Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential backup

ale_anto
Level 3

I need to know how to configure a differential backup. I configured:

Sunday - Complete backup with selection group

Mon-Sat - Differential backup with same selection

but every day start differential backup files on remote folder get erased and recreated (then diffential backup's times same to complete and there is not an old file!).

I need to change anything else to configuration?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ale_anto
Level 3

Good! Thank you!

These are the steps:

1) Create media set Full 2 weeks of overwrite protection and 0 to append (i want a different files for differents backups)

2) Create media set Differential 1 week of overwrite protection and 0 to append (i want a different files for differents backups)

4) Configure 2 jobs: (Full and Differential) using 2 relatives sets with same selections and different type of method (Complete - Date/Time and Differential - Date/Time)

3) Configure jobs to overwrite, else append if no overwritable media available

4) Tools-Options-Media Management: - protection level -> complete; use recycable media before using scratch media

I tested and seems ok.

Thank you for support

Bye

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I_T_Guy
Level 4

What are your media settings ?  Check if the overwrite option is selected or not.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

To perform a restore, what you need is a Full backup and last differential backup . So if your other differential backup get overwritten should not be an issue , but you should protect atleast 2 sets of differential backup set.

You need to check you media setting, so the differential media is overwrite protected atleast for 2 day or what ever number you want it to protect it for .

ale_anto
Level 3

Both Full and Differential are set to overwrite but i think Full overwrite Full and Differential overwrite Differential. Instead Differential overwrite Full!

And i don't want to delete and write because if don't successful i lost old file.

This is what i want to configure:

Sun: Full backup (only if successful, otherwise maintain old file)

Mon-Sat: Diff backup (only if successful, otherwise maintain old file or maintain 6 files from Mon to Sat)

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can configure the media set as follows

Full media set

opp set to 13 days and app = 0 days

This way you will have 2 copies of full backup job , as if we set the opp to 6 days when the next full backup job starts it will start to overwrite and it will not know if it is going to be successful or not .

Similary you can set the differential backup media set as opp = 6 days and app =0

so that monday differential backup will get overwritten on next monday .

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Configure 2 media sets.

Full Media set: 2 weeks of overwrite protection and infinite allow append.

Daily Differentials set: 1 week of overwrite protection and infinite allow append.

Configure backup jobs to overwrite, else append if no ovewritable media available.

In BE consile, click on Tools->Options->Media management->select "use recycable media before

using scratch media"

ale_anto
Level 3

Good! Thank you!

These are the steps:

1) Create media set Full 2 weeks of overwrite protection and 0 to append (i want a different files for differents backups)

2) Create media set Differential 1 week of overwrite protection and 0 to append (i want a different files for differents backups)

4) Configure 2 jobs: (Full and Differential) using 2 relatives sets with same selections and different type of method (Complete - Date/Time and Differential - Date/Time)

3) Configure jobs to overwrite, else append if no overwritable media available

4) Tools-Options-Media Management: - protection level -> complete; use recycable media before using scratch media

I tested and seems ok.

Thank you for support

Bye