cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery problem

Cacek_-
Level 3
Hello,

I have few servers HP DL380 G4 on Windows Serwer 2003. I made a full backups of every server and created bootable cd-rom (there are no floppy in these servers). I have no problem to recover "media server", because it has tape drive connected. But when I try to recover any other server i have problem with network drivers and connecting to the media server and to the tape. I don't know how this "broken" one should connect to the media server. In DR Wizard i can only configure server name, domain and admin password, but there is no option to configure the network connection. I can manually install the network drivers, but still i can't configure it. All the time i see "Unable to connect to media server..." error. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :)

Cacek
12 REPLIES 12

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
hello,
After installing the OS, install network drivers and after you can connect to the media server, you can install the remote agent. Next you may do the restores.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Cacek_-
Level 3
I can connect to the media server. I have to manually install network drivers and then manually configure it by pressing F1 and by command line (this is normal in DR?).

But now all the time, when I try to start the recover job I see error : "Unable to attach to one of the drives".
I'm not sure, but I think that it could be a problem with my full disaster backup. I think all the time BE trying find backup sets on hard drive (B2D folder).

What I did:

I created 6 Backup to Disk folders. Each of them contains full backup of another server. Then I created a 6 duplicate jobs for every server and duplicate every backup of server for 2 tapes. Maybe here I made a mistake.
Then I made a bootable CD which include IDR files.

I'm new in BE so sorry for "simple" questions.

Cacek_-
Level 3
Renuka - thanks for your replay. If I understund correct when I use Disaster Recovery I don't need install all OS, configure network etc when I use DR. I had done this way when I recovered "media serwer". But in this case streamer was connected directly to the server so DR Wizard recover everythink without problem :)

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Regards

Cacek_-
Level 3
Ajit Kulkarni -> No problem. But still I have the same error when I try to recover remote server. I try to describe my problem more precisely once more for better understunding :)
I have 6 the same servers HP DL380 G4 with Windows Serwer 2003. BE 9.1 4691 is installed on one of them and Tandberg Streamer is connected to it. Disaster Recovery Option and SQL Option are installed on this media serwer. Rest servers has installed Remote Agents.

I would like to have two "the same" tapes with full (disaster) backups - for safety if one of tape will be broken. Because I want to dupliacate full buckups of every serwer to two tapes I made 6 separate Backup to Disk folders. Every of these folders contains full backup of one server made by separate job. Maybe I can do it in better - one folder by one job - I don't know what "the best practice" is :)
Later I made 6 duplicate jobs - every duplicate job duplicates one Backup to Disk folder to the tape. The same for the another tape. By this way I have 2 identical tapes - each contains full backup of every serwer. Is this ok? :)
After that I create one bootable CD.

Ok, now for example one of my servers brakedown (not media server). So what should I do step by step to recover it ASAP?

Until now I tried to do:

1. Boot broken server using bootable CD. After boot I press Enter key for DR
2. When setup is loading I press F2 for ASR.
3. After that Windows is installing. Then DR Wizard is starting.
4. I choose Assisted option. Next I choose correct *.DR file from list.
5. After that I have to install network driver (why DR CD don't have this drivers? It is possible to add it to this image?) manually which I have on another CD. Next I press F1 and by command line configure network card.
6. Now I can connect to the media serwer.
7. DR Wizard finds proper sets, but... I think it trying to find it in the Backup to Disk folder but not on the correct tape. I don't see any info that I have to put "Disaster recovery tape" to the streamer. I see:
"Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.
Final error category: Resource Errors"

and in the job history:

Device name : Backup-na-MANAGEMENT2 - SQL_INT (my Backup to Disk folder)
Target name : All Drives (DT-MANAGEMENT)

If I try choos manualy recover in DR Wizzard than the recovery proccess is starting and I see "Waiting for the job to recover" or somethink like this - I dont remember now. If I now go to the BE and manially choose Recover, check the correct backup set - the job starts but after couple of seconds I have the same error. What I'm doing wrong? :)

When I tried to recover media server exactly the same way (I didnt have to "connect" to the streamer because it was connected directly to the recovering server)- I didn't have any problems.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please refer to the followig technote for the exact pocedure you should follow:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192923
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Cacek_-
Level 3
Hello again,

I saw this technote. I think that I read already all DR technotes ;) I made another test. I used another server to restore to pre-disaster state. I did full backup of this server to the new backup-to-disk folder. Then I duplicated this backup to the tape and then burnt new bootable CD. After that I started this serwer from the new CD and began DR proces. When I connect to the media serwer (choose Assisted option) and select correct DR file it found the backup set to recover this server but not this which I made 15 minutes ago, but he wants tape with full backup that was made 2 months ago! But why? It have the newest *.DR files on the bootable CD. When I try to run DR once again he didnt ask for any tape at all. I see only "Unable to attach to one of the drives".
When I tried to recover manualy this backup acording to manual I see only Waiting for a job to start in the DR Wizard window. I remember that when I test recovery on the media serwer and storage connected localy to it I could search tape set by set and choose correct to recover in manualy mode - the same like Figure 13 in technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/192923.

Cacek_-
Level 3
BecauseI all the time I have problems with DR I will be very grateful if someone could help me and answer for the following questions:

1. If I made a FULL Backup of a one server and after that burnt a bootable CD with the newest *.dr of this backuped server this is all I need to succesfuly completed remote DR process of this server? If not, what I need?

2. Is there any posibilities to have configured network connection in DR process? Now every time after the DR Wizard starts I have to manualy install and configure network card to connect to the media server. I dont use DHCP

3. Why, when I made a full backup of server and then try to recover it in assisted mode (bootable CD contains latest *.dr file) DR Wizard asks for full backup that was made 2 months ago even though latest full backup was 10 minutes ago?
When In this moment I choose " I will provide my own restore media" I see Waiting for job to start. If now I switch to media server, choose Resotre, change Resource Credentials to the Temporary IDR User logo account I all the time have error "Unable to attach to one of the drives"

4. When I changeing Resource Credentials in restore job I have to do this only for computer name or for computer name and others (drive C, System State etc.)? I tried all combinations but all the time I have the same error.

5. When I made a full backup to disk (*.DR are created/updated) and then I duplicate this buckup for two tapes and then made a bootable CD with *.DR where DR Wizard will search for correct buckup(s)? I think that will try to find backup2disk folder. So If I understend well, If I would like to have multiple the same tapes with disaster backups and I don't have multipli storage devices I have to use b2d folders, so I can't use automatic mode anymore? I have to use manual mode and manualy choose correct backup sets to resotre?Message was edited by:
Cacek -

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
hi Cacek,

I say this a lot here.
Try it without IDR. You will find it more reliable to install your OS, install your remote agent, and then restore your data.

Cacek_-
Level 3
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your replay. This is an options. I will try :)
But it makes me angry if IDR option that bought doesn't work.

One question about your suggestion. After install OS and remote agent I can recover all the system from backup? I mean registry, settings etc? Is this the same restore only without DR Wizard?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Cacek,

Of course you can- that's what a backup of the System State is all about. Do you backup your system state remotely? Then restore it. You've just restored your registry.

Cacek_-
Level 3
This is some kind of curse...
I try to recover system manualy. So I installed OS using the Smart Start CD from the HP. Then I installed remote agent and I followed http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236286.htm. Everythink was ok, but after reboot I have a blue screen with error:
==================================
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Stop 0x0000006B (0xC000007A, 0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
===================================

Yes, I sow technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/250291 and thread http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=101&threadID=50123&messageID=4378320컐, but I still don't know what to do.

Please, HELP!! :)