cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk cartridge media marked as read-only every time it is inserted

Dave_Gray
Level 3

Using Backup Exec 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and a Dell USB3 RD1000 drive. I tested using 2 cartridges, both of which only contain expired media.

While cartridge A is inserted, I set the "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations:" setting to "No" for this cartridge.

I eject cartridge A then insert cartridge B.

Backup Exec warns me that it is limited to read-only operations on the inserted disk cartridge until I change the read-only setting on the device properties page.

I set the "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations:" setting to "No" for cartridge B.

I eject cartridge B then insert cartridge A again.

Backup Exec warns me that it is limited to read-only operations on the inserted disk cartridge until I change the read-only setting on the device properties page.

I eject cartridge A then insert cartridge B.

So, in order to use any cartridge for backups I have to set the setting "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations:" to “No” every time I insert a cartridge. This does not seem like normal operation to me. In the global Backup Exec settings under Storage, I have the setting for "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations on a disk cartridge if it has not been inserted for:” set to 30 days. It would appear this setting is not working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are facing a known issue as outlined in this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223060

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are facing a known issue as outlined in this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223060

Dave_Gray
Level 3

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will subscribe to the KB for further updates on the issue.