cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate job can't append to tape

PeterVroegop
Level 3

I create a few job's to backup our serverpark.

This backup goes to disk first.

I created a duplicate jog for each disk job to write the backup to tape.

The first duplicate job overwrite the loaded tape and this job runs fine, the other jobs must be append to the tape. However this jobs ejected the non overwritable, but appendable tape and asks for an overwritable tape. The job settings says appand to tape and ther is enough space at the tape.

Have any one suggestions or a solution?

Regards Peter

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Peter,

Check those Append/OPP settings again and make sure they allow appending.

Check the TN below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

Thanks!

PeterVroegop
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your replay, but the suggested setting Where checked allready.

To be shure I checked them agian. De Overwrite setting I set for test to 0 hours the append stands on Infinite - Allow append.
The device lets see the loaded tape and the settings for the tape are overwritable and appendable.

I did some tests with this media group so I will descibe the behavore.

First test:

• Backup to tape.
  • Selection about 5 Gb of data on my media server
  • Backup to tape, Append to media, overwrite if none appendable media is available
  • Result: Succesfull Backup

Second test:

• same selection as above
  • Backup to disk
  • A to this job linked duplicate job
  • append to media, overwrite media if none media is avalable
  • Result: Successfull backup appended to tape

Third test:

• Exactlly the sam job as above however the setting is changed from append to overwrite tape
  • Result: Successfull Backup overwrited on tape

Fourth test

• Same selection and backup to disk job
  • The duplicate job is changed to a duplicate of the backupset of the previous diskbackup
  • Setting append to media, overwrite as none appendable media is available
  • Result:The duplicate job asked for a overwritable media.
    The Media I used in the previous 3 tests should be none overwritable.
    One of the messages I get are:

Media 'Week 4' is overwrite protected.

The media in drive 'IBM 0001' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operations.

Media Set: Compaxo Week/maand Backup naar tape

Overwrite Protection Until: 1/1/1900 1:00:00 AM.

Appendable until: 3/5/2013 11:59:21 AM

This message are is completly nonsens This is the same media in the same media set as the three previously tests The overwite time is completly bull.

Test Five

• Completly the sam as above, with the only differency the setting to overwrite the loaded tape
  • Result: Exactly the same as test four.

Every duplicate jog I create base previously backupsets (The original problem I got with a policy based duplicate job of all backupsets of the last week) asks for overwritable media, even when the settings are te append to media with enough space available.

Please anu suggestion

Regards Peter

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

In addition to the APP settings  being correct, verify that you have  the same media set for all jobs

If the second (or nth) job uses a different media set, and a tape with that media set is not loaded and appendable, then BackupExec will prompt for an Overwriteable tape and wait

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your 4th job does not start before any of the other preceeding jobs ended.  While the preceeding jobs are running, the tape is marked as not appendable.  If your 4th job starts then, it will find that there is no appendable media and will switch to the overwrite mode and wait.  When the preceeding jobs end, the media is marked as appendable then, but it is too late.  Your 4th job will not be able to switch back to appendable.  Once it switches to overwrite, it will remain there.