cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating backup sets in 11d

Barry_Pain
Level 3
I have a backup server with a large capacity disk subsystem as my backup server. This contains one backup to disk folder. Every night i run multiple backup jobs that use this folder and overwrite the existing media (B2Dxxxxx). This creates a folder with approx 15 files in it. This server also has a tape autoloader attached and i'd like to be able to copy these backup files to it during the day. The problem I have is that I want to duplicate the fioles to a different tape every day, a Monday tape, a Tuesday tape etc. How can I do this with the duplicate backup sets job? If I try to crete a recurring job per day it fails on catalog as the catalogs in ther media get overwritten. I can't do a one to one duplicate job as I need the target to be different each day. I suspect the answer may lie in templtes but I'm not sure how to creat and amend them.

Any help would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

fredouille
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,
I'd follow this way :
- use Policies instead of jobs
- create templates to backup and other to duplicate on other media (all templates can be scheduled)
- add rules to organize templates and be sure a duplicate template will be run after a successful backup
- be careful to the media lifetime, the medias pool management must be correct and will prevent any unwanted rewrite job

BE has default duplication policies that you can reuse and recover if they have been deleted (it's an option of the tools menu).

Regards,
Fred.

Barry_Pain
Level 3
Thanks for the advice Fred. I'm not familier with policy based backups TBH. A the moment I create backup jobs to back up resources on a schedule I define. Am I correct in thinking that if I work by policy, I'd end up with a policy or template for each job? Are there any benefits it policies over jobs other that this ability to do the duplicates?