cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty backup unless files selected from shares

Sean_Wendt
Level 3
Up until recently our backups ran fine.

Nothing has changed on the server we're backing up.

It is a file server and has a number of shares.

When I make selections on the actual drive, no files are backed up, although it backs up the folder tree (though not entirely).  However, if I make the selection on the share, the backups grab all the files.

For example, selecting \\files.domain.com\F:\*.*  - backup runs successfully but does not backup any files.   Selection \\files.domain.com\users$\*.* backup runs successfully and all files are backed up.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Veritas/Symantec have always recommended using the Admin Shares when backing up

Double check that the BackupExec service account has access to the F: share, and also to the data on the share

Sean_Wendt
Level 3
We use a service account which is a member of Domain Admins so there shouldn't be any issue with permissions...

Can you clarify what you mean by using the admin share?

I'll try to clarify as well...

Right now we have a share on the F:\ drive called users, e.g. F:\users\ o r  \\files\users$

Our selection list used to simply be \\files.ourdomain.com\F:\users\*.* /SUBDIR

Then it stopped backing up the files although the backups would run successfully, and it would list the # of directories.

I had to change it to \\files.ourdomain.com\users$\*.* /SUBDIR for the backups to actually grab the files.

Are you saying Symantec suggests using a \\files.ourdomain.com\F$\users\*.* /SUBDIR syntax , so F$ rather than F: ?  Because when using the selection list GUI, it does not insert the selections this way.

Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by Sean Wendt on 02-15-2008 04:54 PM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I agree that Domain Admins should have accesss, but check the ACL to verify that they have not been removed somehow

yes the Admin Shares are typically the letter share followed by "$"   so the Admin Share for the user Share