cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase a tape mid-backup?

AlexG2490
Level 2
Hello

While doing a backup today, I received an error on one of our tapes that the media was unrecognized, and that it needed to be erased before it could be used. The backup then went on to the next tape. This is fine, but since we do our backups in sets of tapes that are always kept separate, I need that last tape to be available for the backup to finish. Is there any way to force BE12 to hold off on the backup long enough to erase the tape, then resume? I could just insert another tape but then our catalog system would be out of whack.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to pause a job and do something else.  A job only pauses when there is an error condition, like it needs a tape to write to.  In any case, even if you can pause the job, it will still be holding onto the tape drive and you cannot use it to erase your tape.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to pause a job and do something else.  A job only pauses when there is an error condition, like it needs a tape to write to.  In any case, even if you can pause the job, it will still be holding onto the tape drive and you cannot use it to erase your tape.