cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xa000fe36 on Full Backups only on 1 server drive

Donnie_Francis
Level 4
Greetings,

Despite my best efforts I continue to get error 0xa000fe36 (resource error) when my full backup runs. Differentials have no problem backing up this data on the same server.

It appears to affect only 1 drive on 1 server but the folders in which the error is reported changes.

This install does have OFO. The client server had this problem pre 9.1 SP2 and continues to have it after I recently installed SP2 which of course also meant a new client was put on this server (the target) and was rebooted.

Thank you,
Donnie
7 REPLIES 7

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

This error occurs when VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) attempts to back up a file that is in use by another application or user.

Backup Exec may back up partial data from such a file, but when it is not able to continue the backup of the file, Backup Exec marks the file on the tape as corrupt.
Note: The error refers to the instance of the file on the tape. The file on the hard disk drive may be intact.

Backup Exec Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) can be used to avoid the error. The AOFO component of Backup Exec enables the functionality to perform a complete backup of files which are open through various applications. This is a "paid for" option.

If AOFO is not used, then the following is the workaround to avoid the error:

1. Click Tools | Options | Properties | Job Defaults | Backup. Select Never under Open file backup when Advanced Open File Option is not used.
Select never option to have Backup Exec skip open files if they are encountered during the backup operation. A listing of skipped files will appear in the job log for the backup.

2. Close the respective files during backup.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us know if that helped you.
==============================================
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

Did you mean by OFO, the Advanced open File Option? (AOFO)?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Donnie_Francis
Level 4
Yes I did.

Sorry, I have been using BackupExec a good while and I think it was referred to as OFO before AOFO so it's just an old term I use.

But this install does have AOFO and the problem has survived through an install of SP2 for 9.1 in which all servers involved had the client reinstalled and were rebooted.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Donnie,

Please refer to this technote.

"Corrupt data encountered" (a000fe36 HEX or e000fe36 HEX) is reported when a backup job fails.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258696

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Donnie_Francis
Level 4
Ahhh all that link states is the same thing the Veritas Rep stated above.

Please understand THIS INSTALLATION HAS AOFO INSTALLED.

Donnie_Francis
Level 4
Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Seriously, can someone shed some light on this?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please paste the exact error message as in the job log. Also try to exclude the corrupt files from the Backup job and verify results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.