cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xe000fef4 occurs when backing up SQL 2005 with BEWS 10d - why?

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
Hi Folks,

I have the following interesting scenario that has been touched on by several topics, but nothing seems to hit the spot.

My problem is as follows:

I have a nice new SQL 2005 installation on a similarly nice and new Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition server.

I have also installed a nice fresh Backup Exec 10d install on the same server, complete with AOFO and SQL options. Backup Exec is running on it's own MSDE 2000 install.

Everything works fine, until it comes to backing up the SQL database using the SQL Agent. I install the Hotfix 6 (as advertised on the site) onto the server, and reboot etc. I then re-run, but to no avail. The error message I receive is:

Final error: 0xe000fef4 - A Microsoft SQL Server backup using snapshot technology has failed. SQL Server was unable to prepare the database for freezing.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65268

So I have a few questions:

1.) Do I need to somehow reinstall the Remote Agent on the server (or does it, as I previously believed, do that as part of the local application of the Hotfix)?

2.) Does the HotFix 6 actually work? (Again, I'm sure it does from the messages in the Forum, but I'm a sceptic!)

3.) Does the SQL Server require the use of the Symantec/Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (instead of the Microsoft VSS)?

4.) Is it possible to resolve this issue, or would I have been better off with SQL backups to Disk and streaming those files to tape?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Brown
11 REPLIES 11

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Here are the answers to your Qs.

1.) Do I need to somehow reinstall the Remote Agent on the server (or does it, as I previously believed, do that as part of the local application of the Hotfix)?
*If the SQL 2005 running locally on the server where BE is also running,then you cant remote agent ...no need to install agent after installing Hotfix 6

2)Does the SQL Server require the use of the Symantec/Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (instead of the Microsoft VSS)?
*NO,if you have SQL agent then it is not recommended to use AOFO for SQL backups.

To resolve this issue try performing seperate backup and without AOFO of SQL

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I've just run the Backup, and I am now getting the following message in the job log:

V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database master.
V-79-57344-33938 - 0x2000e213 (536928787)
The item SERVERNAME\master in use - skipped.

Repeat for each database.

However, the Consistency check was successful on each database....

Any further ideas?

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I've just followed the link within the job, and located a possible answer. Which comes down to access rights of the SQL service account.

I'll update this thread with the result of my test.

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I followed the link through to the section on security. I have confirmed that the domain account running the SQL services is a member of the server local administrators group. I rebooted the server to ensure that the membership rights were established, and I then tried another backup task, which again failed with the same error.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Thanks

Steve

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I have no further update on this issue, unfortunately. Is this a situation that can be resolved?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi ,

-Is it a full or differential backup where you are getting this error ?

-Refer the links given below :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/281881.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261935.htm

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
Hi Gauri, and thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the links you have posted regarding the Master Database, and I can confirm that the Master Database is located in it's original position and that this occurs on doing a full backup.

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
Does anyone have any other ideas on how to resolve this?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I am still experiencing the issues as per my previous posts. I have been using SQL level backups to disk rather than the SQL Agent as I have been unable to get it working.

By contrast, the SQL Agent works quite nicely against the Backup Exec MSDE database on the same server.

If there are any new ideas or proven solutions to this issue I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve Brown

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

How to enable support for "Restrict Anonymous" when using Backup Exec 8.6, 9.x, and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.