cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1067 when starting Backup Exec Server service

Jason3
Level 3
I keep getting an Error 1067 when the Backup Exec Server service tries to start.  I have tried removing Backup Exec 11d and SQL Server 2005 Express and reinstalling them.  Every time I reboot the server, it won't let me start up the service.  The remote agent and Device and Media service starts up fine but the rest of the services do not.  I did get this installed and working at one point and successfully ran a backup but the next day I came in, nothing would work.  This is running on a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain controller backing up to a DLT VS160 tape drive.  My guess is one of the windows patches that was installed in the past 2 weeks might be to blame for this.  There isn't any useful information in the windows event logs.  Any ideas on what I can check?
11 REPLIES 11

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jason,

Can you give me the full error you are getting?  Error 1067 is a generic error, so you may need to look in your application and system logs as well to get the full error details.

Thanks.

Jason3
Level 3
The error itself was pretty generic.  The exact wording when I tried to start the service was:

"Could not start the Backup Exec Server service on Local Computer.  Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

The event viewer wasn't helpful either.  It said: The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 6 time(s).  Event ID 7034.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jason,

Do you see any other errors in the event logs?  It may not be listed as Backup Exec.  You may see some errors around the time of the services started from Application Error.

Jason3
Level 3
No, that is the only error in the event logs.  I checked both application and system logs.  This event was in the system log.

Saurabh
Level 3
Make sure the defualt mail client for the IE is Microsoft Outlook, after that run an repair isntall on the .NET which gets installed on the machine.

Jason3
Level 3
This is a Windows 2003 server so Outlook isn't installed on it.  Which version of .NET Framework should be installed on it?  I think it has 1.1 right now if anything.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Backup Exec needs .NET Framework 2.0

Jason3
Level 3
It looks like this was related to security update that Microsoft released for .NET framework 2.0.  I uninstalled the patch and it fixed the problem.  I do not have in front of me the patch number but it was the only critical security updated available for the 2.0 framework.

Carter200485
Not applicable
Hello support,  I am having the Exact same problem as jason stated in the original post, I am using Backup Exec 11d with SQL Server 2005 express instance, We were receiving the same Backup Exec Server services error not starting, tried uninstalling both applications and after a installing again getting the same result. I tried removing the last security update for the .NET 2.0 framework, but that did not seem to help. That update had been installed in July, where as this problem originated after attempting a repair on Backup Exec application since the backups had been failing. Since jason was able to resolve this by removing that update, does anyone have any insight to why these services aren't starting after a fresh install?? Any help would greatly be appreciated

Jason3
Level 3
You might want to try uninstalling all SQL Server apps (I think there are 4 or 5 of them), Backup Exec, and .NET 2.0 and then try installing Backup Exec again.  Be sure to reboot after uninstalling all of those apps.

txtech1997
Level 4
I am having the same problems and it started a few days ago.  But it's happening on a server that is being backed up, not the media server. So the only Backup Exec item installed is the remote agent.  Here is my error when I try to start the service:

Could not start the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service on local computer.  Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

The service is running under the system account and always has.  But I changed it to my account, a domain admin, the service started.  So then I started a job and it began and then failed due to an authentication error.  I opened up the job and checked the user credentials against the server and it failed (access is denied) for me and the system account on this one server, but not other servers in the job.

Like I said, it just started a few days ago.  I've rebooted the server, uninstalled, reinstalled the agent etc., but not luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.