cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code E00084F4

crus0r
Level 2

Recently setup a new HP ML370 G5 server

Using an LSI Ultra 320 SCSI card connecting to an HP Ultrium 960 (LTO-3) Internal tape drive.

I have installed all the latest Windows updates (Running 2008 server standard)

I have also installed all the latest updates for Backup Exec 12D using the Live Update.

When running a full backup i get the following errors in my Backup Log.

Job ended: Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 3:10:43 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- System?State System?StateAn unknown error occurred on device "HP 1".
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I get 2 events in my Windows event viewer

ID 57600 Source: Backup Exec

ID 34113 Source: Backup Exec

I have tried using both the latest HP driver and also the Veritas driver. Both giving the same results. When i test the drive using the HP Library & Tape Tools i get no errors and everything is reported to be working fine.

I'm really out of idea's on this one :( Please help.

9 REPLIES 9

HenteL
Not applicable

Hi, I have almost same hardware configuration and same error message. What I did was stop all HP Insight related services and now backup to tape is working. I'm now waiting HP's response to this.

Hope this helps:)

WCBAY
Level 3
Hi Crus0r did the response about turning off insight sevices work for you?  It didn't work for me.  Let me know what you've done to correct your problem if you have corrected it.  Thanks.

crus0r
Level 2

Hi WCBAY,

Turning off the insight agents isnt really an option for me as we use them here.

When i spoke to HP regarding the issue they gave me the response that the SCSI card mentioned in my first post is not supported on Windows 2008 server.

When HP told me this i gave up and installed 2003 server.. Backups are now working.

We wont be trying 2008 server again until HP say they support everything.

WCBAY
Level 3
our problem was solved by removing the windows updates that were dated sept 29, 2008.  Since then the tapes have been working once again.

WCBAY
Level 3

Ok so I take that back, we are experiencing the problem again

Using a DL380 GS HP Serverwith the SC44GE card connected to the MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SAS Tape Library on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64

Both backups and restores are failing with the tapes with error code E00084f4.  It had been working for the last day or so and now today, nothing.  No updates have been applied so I'm not sure what happened. 

Maybe I've got something corrupted?  Would reinstalling windows and BE12d be beneficial?  If I were to do that, would the newly built system be able to read the tapes just by running an Inventory and then a Catalog?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

PulsaMatt
Level 3

I've got a bit different setup ... but the same error ... and its been an issue since we started using this setup in June 2008.

I've got a relatively new Dell PowerEdge 2950 server connected to a Dell PowerVault 124T (LTO2) drive using an LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 Scsi Adapter.  We're on the latest version of Backup Exec 12 SP2 and its running on Windows 2003 x64.

Anywho ... I noticed this knowledgebase article was posted on 10/17/08 by Symantec:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311666.htm

It points to an issue with this model card, using the StorPort version of the driver, when connected to an HP tape drive and a specific windows update hotfix is applied.

The solution is to get a SCSIPort version of the driver from LSI ... which is easier said than done.

LSI lists recently updated drivers (August 2008) but they are Storport drivers.  They have no tech support contact (their "contact us" search engine is horrible) that I could find.

Dell also only lists the the Storport drivers as well ... but their drivers are from 2007 so they are even more useless.

Having seen this knowledgebase article I am thinking it might be worth it to switch to an Adaptec SCSI card like I have in my other location ... its running a very similar setup and has been working flawlessly for 2 months now. 

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Do your backups complete successfully to disk?

are you able to backup system state through NTbackup successfully 

WCBAY
Level 3
so it looks as though a bad tape was causing our problems, everything has been working fine since that tape was removed.

DBM_David
Level 2
Partner Accredited
We were experiencing the same problem: ML350G5, W2K8EE, Ultrium 960, the HP LSI card, and BE 12.5.  Backups failed consistently within 5 minutes.  Symantec Enterprise support was completely unhelpful with a bunch of double-talk about StorPort vs. SCSIPort, it's LSI Logic's problem, or Microsoft's problem, etc.  I found that stopping the "HP WMI Storage Providers" service allows backups to work.  Have a case open with HP to see how this might ultimately get fixed.