Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error restore/backup/cancelled time consuming

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I'm just wondering why does it took a lot of time before the error occur in Backup Exec 2012.

1. During backup why the error appeared after 55 mins or after 1 hour. Why the error didn't appear at the beggining of the backup

2. Same with restore when I run restore it is the same took 1 hour. Why the error didn't appear immediately.

3. If I cancelled the backup job or restore it also happened that it took 1 hour before the error appear.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE could be waiting for some resource or reply and until that timed out, the cancellation will not take place.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Rick,

Please specify what is the error that is occuring in all the 3 instances / scenarious that you mentioned above.

Thanks,

-Sush...

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Sush,

Right now I can't specify the error. I just want to know that instead the error appear immediately for example. RAWS in the client server that was backing up was stopped and the backup run but the error occured after 1 hour instead the error prompt immediately.

PraveenShetty

Hello Rick,

In case the RAWS was stopped before the backup job started, The job would have failed and errored out in few minutes.But in case the RAWS was stopped during the backup job,The job takes sometime to error out depending on what kind of data is being backed up.

Thanks,

Praveen

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

how about cancelling the backup job why does it took 1 hour or more before it can cancelled?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE could be waiting for some resource or reply and until that timed out, the cancellation will not take place.

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

hi pkh,

just like what resource or reply (pls give an example) that taking too much time before it can cancelled.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For example, there could be an outstanding media insert alert which needs an acknowledgement.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Rick,

you many want to refer to the following technote giving few points about the reason why cancel pending takes time.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87507 : Active backup job status shows as "Cancel Pending" for a long time and appear to be hung.

Thanks,

-Sush...

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

hi Sush,

how about backup or restore why does it takes too long. what is the process taken during backup or restore before the error appeared?

thanks.